Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that years ago there was a small bullet maker named Alf Lefranc (spelling ???) who advertised jacketed bullets that were pointed. I haven't seen any of his ads for awhile and wondered if he was still in the bullet business ??? Does anyone make pointed bullets for the 45-70 ??? I have a custom Siamese Mauser that is begging for some good loads with pointed bullets !!! HD1

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
Have seen ,458" spitzers from Hawk bullets, but it's been awhile. Asked a guy at a public range about his spitzer loads in .45-70 and he menitoned their site. At the time, was looking for good reliable jacketed bullets for a .401WSL, and didn't give the 45-70's a try.

Checked...the web site is still there, so i suspect they are still in bussiness...and spitzer 458" bullets of various weights and jacket thicknesses are listed.

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
For the record, the FTX plastic tipped bullet by Hornady can most certainly be pushed a good bit faster than the load as sold by Hornady in their 45-70 LE ammunition line in proper rifles. These rifles do, of course, include the popular M 1895 Marlins (produced since 1972/new version). The LE load for the .450 Marlin is claimed at 175 FPS faster (adding over 500 FP of additional energy, if desired) and the 1895 accepts that pressure from the .450 and will from the 45-70 as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hornady makes their polymer tip pointed bullets. They work great in my .45-90!
RP, your picture looks like you have one-them Winny High Walls in 45-90 just like I have, A bit light for the larger 550 gr bullets (Ouch!) so I fitted a tie-on leather recoil pad, but still... It may yet benefit from my inlaying some lead into the forend, or I may have a fatter forend built with that lead in there as well. It's well under the 13.5lb weight limit for BPCR comp. A hundred of so rounds down it's spout in a day and you're hurting fro sure!

Those pointy bullets? I will have to look but I have some very sleek .458 jacketed bullets that weight, as I recall, about 450 gr. Should be good for long range stuff!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Several do. Barnes makes quite a few .458 bullets that work in the .45-70, and in three or four different types. The original of course with the lead core, then the TSX bullets, but they are designed more for .458 Win mags but do quite well in the .45-70 also if you keep impact velocities over 1600 fps, and the .458 SOCOM bullet, the TTSX which will expand all the way down to 1000 fps but is still pointed. Hawk makes some, Hornady leverevolution bullets will work, and they make the FTX .458 bullets that will work in the .45-70 also.
There are bunch out there if you look for them.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
RP, your picture looks like you have one-them Winny High Walls in 45-90 just like I have, A bit light for the larger 550 gr bullets (Ouch!) so I fitted a tie-on leather recoil pad, but still... It may yet benefit from my inlaying some lead into the forend, or I may have a fatter forend built with that lead in there as well. It's well under the 13.5lb weight limit for BPCR comp. A hundred of so rounds down it's spout in a day and you're hurting fro sure!

Those pointy bullets? I will have to look but I have some very sleek .458 jacketed bullets that weight, as I recall, about 450 gr. Should be good for long range stuff!
Hey TheDownRanger,

The .45-90 does indeed have a healthy amount of recoil! I've since changed my stock over to the BPCR stock, and installed a slip-on pad (used a leather pad, then picked up a Limbsaver for a bit more absorption). With the 325 gr Hornady FTX bullets, the recoil is much more tolerable, and accuracy is excellent!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts