Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I might post a product review here for a poison oak remedy that actually works. First let me say that when I get poison oak, it is akin to an angle-grinder wound in severity, and it itches enough to send me bonkers, no sleep for a day or two, stuck to the bed with ooze....and I'll spare the rest of the really bad images. Anyhow, a couple of years back I tried a product called Zanfel, and it stops the itching more or less instantly, which is fantastic. The first couple of times I used it the rash dried up the same day too. I have it right now, and although the itch went away as soon as I applied it, it's not drying up this time. I think this is a very severe exposure. I'm fairly certain it came from the chip ejector on the chainsaw when I cut some vines along with the firewood last week. That high-velocity impact is always good for a laugh! Anyhow, it's a miracle cure as far as I'm concerned, even though they charge around 40.00 for a tube of it. There have been times I might have layed down a thousand for it, no joking. If you get poison oak severely, give it a try.

·
Registered
307 Posts
ive only gotten poison oak once or twice. those few times have made me extremely cautious about getting near it. even if it looks like oak or ivy, i keep my distance. and it was really bad when i did get it, almost emergency room condition. where do you get this zanfel stuff? drug store?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Don't have alot of poison oak in my neck of the woods but there is alot of ivy (I have heard they are almost the same thing). I used to get it so bad I would have to go to the hospital when u was younger I think I have built up an immunity to it over the years because now i just get a mild rash instead of huge sores.

I found that rubbing alcohol works real well if the rash is not a huge sore and for the itching I would put the rash under scolding hot water so hot you can't hardly stand it. Most of the time you dont get the burning sensation where the rash is it instead gives a sensation of the best scratch in your life. It don't break the skin or cause any damage to the skin it often times will deadden the itching sensation for hours. Just be careful about putting the hot water only in the area of the rash your other skin is more sensitive

·
Banned
968 Posts
> I'm fairly certain it came from the chip ejector on the chainsaw

Assuming you are already wearing a helmet with a face screen. Coat your arms and hands with sun tan lotion, then put on nitrile gloves, then stick your hands into the leather gloves. Your hands will last about 1/2 an hour before the sweat starts pooling and making your fingers swell.

Remove both leather gloves, air brush yourself, and then remove the nitrile gloves, and wash your arms off with a hose to remove dust/chips, put the clothes in a washer with a degreaser, and then scrub the sun tan lotion off in the shower with an ivy soap bar (got mine at Bailey's).

Don't try to wash the poison -whatever- out of the gloves, all you will do is spread it/oil throughout the leather to the inside of the cuff.

Personally, it (poison ivy, sumac, etc.) does not effect me at much or at all, but, my wife learned the hard way how allergic she was when she couldn't wait for me to cut down a tree and did it herself when it was covered with normal ivy.

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
From what I know of Poison oak, it is more of a mid-west/western plant no?

I know that it is rare to find in the northeast, but in it's place we have abundant poison ivy and sumak.

I've had poison ivy just about everywhere, and it just plain sucks. In my reading, I have heard oak is much worse.

There is a product to wash with to remove the oils from the plant called tecnu that we use @ work and have at the house. it does work. just wanted to pass it on for anyone afflicted.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas - It would be good to carry some with me in certain areas.

On a 6 person survey crew in the early spring before it greened up (ivy I think) The whole crew sit in a patch and had lunch. It was not after a while that we notice what seemed like dead plants after a winter. Only one of us were effected and he was covered from head to toe the following Monday.

It was in the Clearwater brainage in Idaho (poison ivy )?- It is just upstream from Lewiston the lowest places in Idaho say 700 to 1200 feet or so.

It definately effects people differently and I had only had a semi mild case just recently and it was terrible enough - I do not want a full blown case. But be very carefull not to spread the oils with water!!!! I think the washing should be strictly confined to the effective areas and use soap with gloves. I would be very carefull with how hot the water is as it might be worse if you scald yourself.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I am very allergic myself. We have poison ivy, oak, and sumac here and I have had them all at one time or another. Last year I got a terrible case I could not get rid of. Two trips to the free doctor provided by my employer (you know what they say about free, you get what you pay for) and then a trip to my doctor, shots, topical creams, and Z packs and I finally got rid of it. My doctor told me last year there is now a vaccine for it. It is a two injection system and you have to get it in the spring. She told me they usually start giving it around Valentines day (guess what tomorrow is) and you get one shot, come in a few weeks later and get the second shot. She is very allergic too and she starting getting it last year and said it does work. I plan on getting it in the coming weeks, man I hope it works.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,372 Posts
I've used the Zanfel myself. It works! We keep some at the deer camp.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
When I lived in CA I got poison oak a few times and after moving to the midwest, I've had poison ivy a few times. For me, the poison oak seemed to spread a lot faster and was harder to get rid of, but both ultimately required prednisone pills. Both are absolutely miserable and I've finally learned to not fight it...I get the prescription within a day or two, now.

In the past I've used Tecnu soap, which only works for me if I wash within a few hours of exposure, and even then it's not 100%. I'll give this new stuff a try because with all the spring turkey hunting, summer food plots and early fall bow-hunting, there is no way I go a whole year w/o contact.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,372 Posts
Slim, it's over the counter. Not cheap but worth having. Should be able to find it at any decent pharmacy.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought mine at a local CVS pharmacy. There were some CVS branded substitutes there this time and I was tempted to give them a try at about half the price. The ingredient list was similar, but not identicle and I decided to go with what I knew would work. Next time I get a mild case I'm going to investigate the cheaper stuff. It was half the price and half-again more product. I see Tecnu mentioned above and it is an excellent product for washing after exposure, but if you don't get it done soon after the exposure it's marginally effective. Once urishiol (the poison in oak, sumac etc.) bonds to your skin tissue it's very difficult to dislodge. In fact, my understanding is that the cells actually have to die and be sloughed off before the stuff will heal. Evidently the Zanfel will bond to the urishiol and float it off.

Here's a link for their web site. They have a pharmacy locator. Not all pharmacies carry it.
http://www.zanfel.com/help

·
Registered
299 Posts
I bought mine at a local CVS pharmacy. There were some CVS branded substitutes there this time and I was tempted to give them a try at about half the price. The ingredient list was similar, but not identicle and I decided to go with what I knew would work. Next time I get a mild case I'm going to investigate the cheaper stuff. It was half the price and half-again more product. I see Tecnu mentioned above and it is an excellent product for washing after exposure, but if you don't get it done soon after the exposure it's marginally effective. Once urishiol (the poison in oak, sumac etc.) bonds to your skin tissue it's very difficult to dislodge. In fact, my understanding is that the cells actually have to die and be sloughed off before the stuff will heal. Evidently the Zanfel will bond to the urishiol and float it off.

Here's a link for their web site. They have a pharmacy locator. Not all pharmacies carry it.
http://www.zanfel.com/help
Thanks for the link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not have a drug store in town and the link was very helpful in finding a location within an hours drive one way. Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
We used to sell a product for poison ivy-IVY DRI that was good. I dont know if still available. I retired 8 yrs ago from pharmacy. The other thing for the ooze is calamine or caladryl dobbed on THICK-so the skin has a pink coating when it drys. That soaks up the ooze and reduces the itch.

""I do not have a drug store in town and the link was very helpful in finding a location within an hours drive one way. Thanks!!!!![/quote]""

Looks like Wal mart(price??) carries Zanfel or can get it on line for $32/tube.. Try the ivy dry. Actually an old time remedy was "Fels naptha soap" applied to the skin after suspected exposure. Washed the oil away somewhat like Zanfel..

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. The stuff doesnt affect me at all. My wife is another story. Poison oak clobbers her.

Havent seen any up here in AK so far but having grown up in Oregon and Washington state, I know to look for it anyway out of habit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.