Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
You stated that you use a brass rifle case glued to a old piece of cleaning rod to polish chambers in rifles. I had a few comments:

The Brass case chould be a once fired case so it fits your chamber better than a new case, also the brass is softer than steel so you may get brass residue in your chamber. I have done this but used a old bronze brush wrapped with a clean cotton rag untill it fits the chamber and then polished with FLITZ for about 1 minute with a corddless drill .

·
Registered
478 Posts
These are good ideas.

I will be polishing the chamber of a 10/22 Clerke Bull Barrel and have been pondering what method I should follow.

I could use a spent 22LR casing with the Flitz / Jewelers Rouge #1 mixture or go with the suggestion of using a bore brush wrapped with a patch.

The bore brush method has the disadvantage of possibly damaging the leade rifling. Trimming the brush to the length of a 22LR casing might eliminate this type of damage.

Is there an advantage of polishing brass to barrel metal as opposed to cloth to barrel metal?

·
Banned
162 Posts
Just nosing around here, my two cents, I like the idea of the case because it would tend to take only the high spots and miss the lows possibly trueing up any out -of-round a bit. Where would one go to get some polishing rouge by the way??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts