Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know some of the chambers on firearms coming out today leave a lot to be desired! I even found a bump in some pistol chambers where the locking cut had been done. Now there are many ways to polish chambers, but this is the best I have found. Take a fired case and drill the primer pocket on through using a 13/64" drill bit, Go to the hardware store and buy a 4" 13/64" bolt, with a lock nut. Push the bolt through from the inside of the hull and tighten down the nut...tight! Clean out the chamber real good with Ed's Red, or what ever. Mix up a paste of Flitz and Jewelers Rouge #1. Chuck this in a variable speed drill. Spin out each chamber slowly, reapplying paste on each chamber. You will find this method better since nothing gets into the chamber mouth. You can do the same with rifles by epoxying a piece old brass cleaning rod into the drilled out primer pocket. You could maybe use that stuff you are fire lapping with???? With the paste I've mentioned you will not take out much metal, but it will really iron out those machine marks. You can do the same thing on shotgun chambers with a fired plastic hull, an Activ hull is best!. All my trap guns were done this way, as were the chambers on my two round-knob Browning A5 Turkey guns.
Best Regards, James  

·
Registered
628 Posts
Mr. Gates,

Thanks for the tip!  It sounds very much like the technique used by the guys on the Cast Bullet Association list to polish or even slightly enlarge a bullet mould.  You've widened my thought process....now I'll be looking for other places to use this method.

El Lobo in NM

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
El Lobo...I also have polish out the old iron Lyman moulds, using somewhat their method. We would use a drill bit that would just clear and go through the sprue hole on the cutoff plate. Drill in about half way with the drill press. Screw in a screw, cut off the head and use pumice.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mr. Gates Where do you find Jeweler's Rouge's?
                                        Thanks

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pat...The last rouge I got was from a store that sold watches, jewelry, and silverware.
Best Regards, James

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
A source for jewlers rouge.... ah, yes, here it is:

www.mcmaster.com

McMaster Carr Supply carrries just about anything you could possibly want in the way of abrasives, adhesives, hardware items, fasteners, hand and power tools, machinist's tools and supplies, hydraulics, pneumatics, you name it... they've got it... IN STOCK!!! They ship promptly and aren't necessarily cheap, but they are competitive.   If you can weasle a catalog from them it is well worth the &#36&#36 they might charge for it!  That catalog is 3280 pages long!  Oh, and everything they have in their catalog is on their incredible online shopping basket!

A true big boy's, tinkerer's delight!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great link, Marshall...even found what I have been looking for that I use to blast a French Grey Finish on firearms. Thanks, James

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went to the site and did a search for "rouge" and "fine abrasive" and several other things.  Never found any rouge.  I need to polish my chambers, too.  If one of you would supply the product number of what I need, I'll order it.

Russ

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Russ...I could not find it either. I went down to the auto supply and bought a hard tube of DICO JR1 and have been using it. I take a knife and scrap off some and add oil to make a paste. I use a spoon to break up any large hunks. Works great and cheap!
Best Regards, James

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
I think GAR, the guy that sells bullet molds and stuff still sells jars of Rouge for adding to corn cob. I'll have to find his number and address. Don't think he has a website yet.

Heres a site I found for a Jewelry Supply Outfit:

http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=rouge&sp-a=000101f3-sp00000000

:cool:

(Edited by Contender at 9:56 pm on April 23, 2001)

·
Registered
1 Posts
<a href="http://www.closeoutsupply.com/prices.asp?category=jewelry

The" target="_blank">http://www.closeoutsupply.com/prices.asp?category=jewelry

The</a> site above has red rouge for a good price and doesn't require a minimum order...

[email protected]

·
Registered
63 Posts
I "Seriously" think that a distinction should be made here between "Chambers and Throat". A lot of new people to shooting might think it is OK to machine/grind away in a chamber/throat like the the Ruger BH or SBH or for that matter any revolver that headspaces on the rim! THIS IS NOT THE CASE!! YOU CAN'T DO IT!!!
Before you start polishing be very sure you understand the verbage that has been discussed here!!!!!!!!!!!
It is not as simple as it sounds!
changeling

1 - 13 of 13 Posts