Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been experimenting with cast for the 30/30 and want to take it hunting now. My first load is an RCBS 180 gr. FP (which weighs 192 gr.), chrono'd at 1865 fps. Hardness of the bullet is 8-9 SAECO, or about 15 BHN.  The second load is the Lyman 169 gr. RN 311291 (which weighs about 175 gr.), also chrono'd at 1850 fps. BHN is an identical 15. I'm concerned about expansion within 50-75 yards. If the bullet won't expand, it would be like stabbing the critter with a blunt pencil (very fast). I'm content that I can place the shot at these distances, but I do feel some expansion is necessary with such a small diameter bullet. Or, another option. chuck it all and use the 45/70 again. Or the .444. Or a 44 magnum. Or a 41 magnum. Or a .357 mag. Or, well you get the idea.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Pourboy,

Sounds like you may get some expansion there. If you have time, run one through some stacked wet phonebooks at those ranges to get an idea.

If you get little to none, I wouldn't use that hardness.

Regards, Ray

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would think at 15 BHN you would get some expansion at the velocity you are shooting,I would use the flat nose if it were me.I to suggest that do what Contender suggested about checking the expansion,not being able to recover an animal is hard on a fella.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts