Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to remove the bolt on a post-64 model 94 Winchester?  The owner's manual tells me nothing...

Thanks.

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
It's been awhile since I have done it and I can tell you that it's somewhat of a pain.

Go slowly and pay particular attention on how the parts are assembled in the gun.

1.) With the action closed,  put the hammer in the first notch. Remove the screw on the left side of the receiver which is opposite the small hole on the right side of the receiver located toward the top and forward.  Use a small punch or stiff wire (paperclip works ok if it will come out easily) that will fit through the small hole. Push  the lever/ bolt retaining pin  through the threaded hole.  If it does'nt come out easily, try opening the lever ever so slightly while maintaining pressure against the pin.

2.) Remove the buttstock.

3.) With the hammer in forward position. remove the leaf spring. If your gun has a coil spring, cock the hammer and insert a paper clip through the hole which will hold the spring and hammer in it's cocked position.

4.) Remove the lower tang but first you must remove the screw that holds the hammer (or hammer bushing)in place.   If your gun has a coil spring , you're in luck, because the hammer will be held in the lower tang with a bushing which will make reassembly much easier.   If your gun has a leaf spring, PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO HOW YOUR HAMMER / TRIGGER ASSEMBLY IS PUT TOGETHER AS YOU REMOVE THE LOWER TANG. The hammer will  separate from the lower tang and is sometimes a pain to get lined up in reassembly.

5.) Remove the safety if it has one.

6.) Remove the lever, locking lug and bottom plate.

7.) Remove the bolt.

Reassemble in the reverse order.

Have fun!
John

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John!

Not quite the simple job as the Marlin.  Don't think I'll get in too big of a hurry to try this, but am printing it out as this is invaluable information.

Should have thought to ask you in the first place.  This type of information belongs in a FAQ.

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
Bartmasterson,

I errored when I said "remove the safety if it has one" (cross bolt safety). The bolt can be removed without removing the safety. Sorry about that.  Hop it did not cause an inconvenience to anyone.  

One thing I am not certain of is when did Winchester started using a bushing to hold the hammer in place in the lower tang, making disassembly / reassembly less
of a hassle?  When they went to the coil spring? If so there would be no need to hold the spring in the cocked position as I had indicated.

And did they also start using the crossbolt safety about the same time?  

Maybe someone can enlighten us on this.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts