Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to find out if anyone has had experience with this problem. I have found in two of my rifles when I use IMR4831 I experience heavy copper fouling but if I use RL19 in the same rifle with the same components I don't.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
I've had problems with copper fouling but not powder specific. That's one powder that I keep on hand but seldom use. You might do a search on the "gun cleaning" general topic for any past posts on the issue. Something too be aware of should that powder be used. Speaking from experience its not fun cleaning up a barrel that acts as a copper mine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you, I have used IMR4831 since 1976 and never noticed a problem till Hodgdon bought IMR. I have a 788 6mm I had rebarreled and I broke the barrel in with RL19 and didn't get any copper fouling and started using IMR4831 in it and got a lot of copper fouling. I blamed it on the barrel and I had the same copper fouling problem in 243 Ruger 77. When I switched to RL19 the problem wasn't there with both rifles. I know I have no idea but I am wondering if the IMR4831 burns hotter or what is causing it.

·
Banned
79 Posts
H4831 is made in Australia by ADI, IMR-4831 is made in Canada by General Dynamics weapons division and Hodgdons only sells it. Winchester and Remington no longer produce ammunition at any military facility. The bean counters at General Dynamics have more pull than the people in quality control. :mad:

Use some foam bore cleaner, let it sit overnight and let the foam do all the work. ;)

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
If there's a difference in copper fouling, it is almost certainly the result of different additives to the powder. The choice of burn deterrent, flash suppressant (if any), stabilizers, acid neutralizers or other additive could be the culprit. Companies sometimes change an additive, based on cost or availability, so one lot may cause a problem while another lot doesn't.

Talk about variables, huh?

·
Registered
107 Posts
What type of bullet are you using? I have seen certain powders that didn't work well with certain bullets. I even ran across a case where a particular type of powder/bullet combo would actually blow the bottom jacket right off the bullet and shred it in my barrel. It left horrible copper fouling. I changed bullets to one with a thicker base and the problem went away. Just a thought.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
700, I have had the problem with whatever bullets I have used. I feel Rocky and another gentleman on another forum are spot on with the problem lying in the compostion of the different powders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts