Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,
I've read several mentions of certain powders having certain characteristics; clean burning, low flash, good for cast bullets, leaves unburned powder in barrel, etc. Is there a single source of this kind of info? I have found listings comparing burn rates, but nothing else. I'm interested mainly in powders for a 44 Mag. 1894 (296, 2400, 4227, etc.). Can you help me out?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Full loads of 2400 produce the best accuracy in my Ruger SBH with all bullets. W296 & H110 seem to burn a little cleaner.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Good question. I have limited experience but this is what I have worked with.

IMR4227 Leaves unburned powder in 1894 barrel. I am scared that could cause damage by errosion.

Universal. Seems to be clean and at 9.5 with a 220 gr bullet it ought to be a good load. 1894 shoots 4 inch and better if I am at 50 yds. I shot today at 100 yds but had trouble with the target out that far with iron sights. Still did 4 out of 6 rounds inside 4 inches but not on zero. Shoots groups better than me at 25 yds in the SBH.

Green Dot. Shoots very accurate low power lead loads. Good for this in mag and specials. I like the smoke.

·
Registered
935 Posts
After all these years with the 44 mag I still have not been able to predict how clean a load will burn until I look down the fired barrel.  Though most of my experience is in 44 mag hadguns, I do shoot an 1894.  I have seen 2400, H-110, AA-5 and AA-9 shoot very dirty and I have seen them all shoot cleaner than I had a right to expect.  Still, I have a couple of suggestions for you to try.  

First, read Marshall Stanton's article on developing a maximum load.  I am not suggesting max loads at all but Marshall expains the process of getting a synergy of primer, brass, bullet, crimp, powder as they effect the pressure curve.  When you get a proper pressure curve, the load tends to burn very cleanly.

Second... If you want max velocities you will probably end up with H-110.  If you want lighter loads, AA-5 & AA-9 have been the cleanest burners for me.  Though Accurate Arms says their powder do not need a mag primer, I have found better results with AA-9 and mag primers.  

If I were looking for a good place to start with a moderate load, I'd use the 280 gr WFN in .432. AA-5 powder and WW primers.  Generally speaking, slower burning powders burn more dirty with lighter bullets than with heavy bullets in all but screaming loads (which cause more problems than they solve.  Good luck and let us know how things go for you.

God bless..................... Bill M

·
Banned
89 Posts
BLUERIDGE,
  I've had good results with W-296 and CCI LPM primers. This is a powder for performance ammo. If you're interested in plinking loads, stay away from this powder. You might play with the roll crimp you use. The crimp has quite an effect on accuracy as well as how cleanly the powder burns. I've also found that trimming all cases to the same length has a big effect on accuracy. If you set your crimp with a shorter case, everytime you crimp a longer case you've changed your load. I hope that this is of some help. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts