Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well do powder coated bullets work in Glock Barrels? I’m thinking about trying them. Specifically the ones from the blue bullet company. I shoot a lot of 9mm and they are way cheaper than the plated bullets I’ve been using. I’m not loading wizz bang loads or even concerned with any power factor they are just for range blasting and occasional IDPA USPSA. Steel plinking targets soda cans and paper really don’t know the difference.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
The easy way to know is call Blue Bullets and ask. They will not let you damage your gun, (or self), if it's an issue.

I have tried plated bullets of a few flavors, and the plating on any of them is pretty thin, most are soft and shed lead even at moderate speeds in my rifled, non-glock barrels. You don't want that.

The safest option is to pick up a conventional rifled tube and blaze away.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The easy way to know is call Blue Bullets and ask. They will not let you damage your gun, (or self), if it's an issue.

I have tried plated bullets of a few flavors, and the plating on any of them is pretty thin, most are soft and shed lead even at moderate speeds in my rifled, non-glock barrels. You don't want that.

The safest option is to pick up a conventional rifled tube and blaze away.
I agree, however I have more than one Glock. I have a Glock 17 which is my blasting / plinking pistol. It’s the pistol I also use for IDPA / USPSA. It is modded. I go to local matches about once a month. I’ve got a second 17, 26, and a G21. The only thing I’ve done to the other Glocks is polishing the internals. I’m keeping them the way they are. I’m planning on eventually getting a fitted aftermarket barrel for the modded Glock 17. I’m concerned with shooting the powder coated bullets in the “other” Glocks. Guess the only thing to do is to buy some and try it out!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I use a lee 9mm die set but substitute the powder through expander with a lee 38SW powder through expander which is larger in diameter and a tad longer. I load cast WW lubed sized .358 plain base 125gr round nose bullets made for 38 specials. Charged by the book with any fast pistol powder. Taper crimp a tad more than with jacketed to allow easy "plunk" chambering and to prevent the possibility of bullet set back upon chambering. These cartridges look a tad 'pregnant' but feed and chamber just fine. I shoot them in a stock Glock barrel and get fine accuracy with zero leading (really) after hundreds of rounds. I still look down the bore every 30 rounds or so, and take the barrel out every 100 or so to look at the chamber, but so far after several thousand rounds have seen no leading at all, The bore is shiny clean and no lead comes out with a brush or on a patch. The reason Glocks lead up with cast bullets is when cases are sized and expanded with the stock expander made for 356 Jacketed bullets the case is so tight and tapered it actually resizes the driving band on lead bullets during seating, which makes them undersize for the bore. The Glock leading problem isn't the polygonal rifling at all, it is the damaged bullet bases that cause the leading. For 40SW you could probably use a 44 special expander but I haven't tried it. For 45ACP I doubt there is an off the shelf expander, you would have to turn one on a lathe to correct dimensions for cast bullets. I haven't seen the need for powder coated bullets because I shoot outside. The don't shoot lead in a Glock is a handloading tooling problem, not a gun problem.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I believe 5th gen glocks don’t have the polygonal rifling. If you have any of those.

I’d call the bullet manufacturer about it and ask.

I know normally places will advertise a gas check makes it okay in a Glock polygonal barrel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've loaded several calibers, including 9mm, with powder coated bullets from Bayou Bullets. They claim their bullets are fine for Glocks. I took them at their word & loaded a couple thousand 9mm's, so I hope they're right. I haven't put any thru the Glock yet, but they work fine in a CZ and a Hi-Power.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I have a Glock 30. The only thing I've ever fired in it is homebrew .45 ACP shot shells, using .410 shot cups. Would the plastic cups be considered plating?

The reason for the Glock specifically is the non rifled barrel, more smooth bore, better patterns, for a handgun anyway.

Got a cat about three years ago, no more snake problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts