Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,119 Posts
It seems to me I heard the red color was OK but others were not. I have not verified this. Different colors may, indeed, be sourced from different places.

Reactions: jimboro

·
Registered
62 Posts
The HF red works fine the yellow not so good haven't tried the black or white. Now I read somewhere that they stopped making the red. So now I'm finishing up what I have left of the red and ordered new from Eastwood which I have used before with good results. Using both methods of application shake & bake and the HF PC system.

·
Registered
127 Posts
When I first started powder coating many years ago, like other, I started out with HF powders and a cheap HF PC gun, for what it was it worked great but wasted a lot of powder, but it was cheap compared to other sources of PC. Once I got away from the PC gun as started using the shake and bake method of coating, I found that basically only the HF Red PC worked, and it was hit-and-miss. HF powders are an Epoxy based resin powders, unlike the polymer based powders that Eastwood, Smokes over on the Cast Boolits or Powder By the Pound sell.

The polymer based powders are much finer ground and give more even coating using the shake and bake method with a lot less fuss, not all colors of the polymer PC coat well, but the majority do an excellent job. HF PC is around $8 a lb. around here, and they only offer White and Black neither of which I like or use. I would rather have half the amount of any other companies powder coat at the same price as HF powders are and get a much better end result.

Natural material Rectangle Earrings Font Jewellery

Light Natural material Wood Jewellery Art

·
Super Moderator
14,119 Posts
Hate to break it to you, but epoxies are polymers, too.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize/know that Turnbull did 1911's :love:
Thanks for the info share. Your coating job looks pretty spiffy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts