Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot a .30-06 with an actual barrel length of 21 29/32" (stamped 22"). I have some 200 grain Partitions that I loaded in 1991 for a rifle I no longer own (exceptional performance) and they don't group well in my current rifle. I have some custom load data configured (Quick Load) for my rifle with a different powder. My bullet puller destroys the bullets so pulling them and reloading with the new data won't work. What difference can I expect shooting the old load in my rifle relative to velocity, energy and pressure?

Old load:
IMR 4831, 53.2gr, 3.335" OAL, Remington brass, Remington LR 9 1/2 primers

New load (low-end sweet spot):
IMR 4895, 47.9gr, 3.335" OAL, same components

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I don't think that 3/32" of barrel length is gonna hurt ya too much, but to answer your question: Well, there's honestly only one way to find out. After you shoot them through your gun, tell us and we'll both know.

·
Super Moderator
13,436 Posts
If you have QuickLOAD, you should already have the theoretical differences. The real world problems are likely to be that the current powder lots are different from the old, especially as the old may have started to deteriorate. 20 years is when the military rotates its reserves out to surplus. Doesn't mean it's gone bad, but that its possible, so, depending on the conditions it's been kept in, it may or may not behave. Almost no primers are exactly the same now as then. A lot of bullets "cold weld" and get much harder to pull after sitting that long, with the result the start pressure has increased in the old loads. The cold weld effect is quite variable, running the gammut from a lot to none, cartridge to cartridge. That could introduce a good be of MV variation. Do you have a chronograph to measure what's happening?

You say pulling the bullets destroys them. What are you using to pull them?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Broom - I thought about that, but I only have about 30 rounds and have already established my rifle doesn't particularly care for Nosler's shape. I have Hornady 165gr. SST for deer and other thin-skinned critters and Hornady's 180gr. Interbond for larger stuff. Both group better than I can hold with MV on the high side (2900 and 2700, respectively).

Nick - I don't have QuickLOAD - the new data came from you. The cold weld makes sense. I'm using an RCBS Bullet Puller and took the suggestion to use the seater die to seat the bullet .005" deeper to break the seal before pulling. That didn't work. Since I only have a limited number of rounds, I may just shoot these up and call it a day or leave them in the box if I ever hit crunch time - they'll go bang and hit within 2" at 100 yards. Hardly to my standards, but they should put meat on the table.

·
Registered
863 Posts
"What difference can I expect shooting the old load in my rifle relative to velocity, energy and pressure?"

You have the rifle and ammo. Why not try it and see, that would sure beat the validity of our wild azz guesses. ??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts