Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a powder to use for light loads in my 38/357 (148gr-158gr at 700-800fps) and 44 magnum (240gr at 700-800fps).  I am thinking of trying AA#2, HP38 or Titegroup.  Have these powders worked well for any of you? Any other powder suggestions are also welcome, but I would prefer a ball powder.  I use Alliant 2400 for my heavy loads.  Thanks, James.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
JFD....I have not played with my .357 with squib loads, but we have gone all the way down to 6.5 grs of Unique with a 240/250 lead bullet @ 850 '/". Accuracy stays good out to about 40 yards, then the drop comes in. With some playing with the sights I'm sure accuracy could be extended. I use, and like, AA5 allot. I think it burns a hair slower than Unique, but haven't work up any real light loads yet. It sure burns cleaner than Unique. People cuss Unique, but within the range it was designed for...800 to 1100'/" in 4.5" avg barrels it will do things I have never got other powders to do. However AA5 is not sensitive to powder location in the hull as others are. AA5 will peak off on pressure about 200'/" under H110 or WW296, but it takes no second place for accuracy. Maybe you should start with AA5..10 grs with a 240/250 lead and work down.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
935 Posts
Good morning JFD,
For light loads with my 44 mags and 240gr lead swc bullets, my current favorite powder is AA-2.  I have shot and liked many lbs of WW 231 but found AA-2 to be cleaner (not better, just cleaner).  In firelapped S&W's, I have gotten good 100 yard accuracy with 8.0 gr AA-2 in Rem or WW cases.  James Gates is quite correct that bullet drop gets to be a big factor at such ranges.  I have only a little experience with AA-5 in 44 mag.  If you choose AA-2 (ulitmately, AA-5 is a more versatile powder) you may want to try 7.5 gr and work up from there.  You will also find Accurate Arms has a great customer service staff with an 800 number and they would be very happy to help you also.

For light loads with 357... I never did much with light loads here.  For medium loads I have been so happy with AA-5 that I quit looking at other powders.

Hope this helps.  Let us know how it turns out for you.

God bless....................  Bill M

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Bill...I'm glad you posted the AA2 load. I've beentoying with the idea of trying some. As for AA5 in the .44's...I "think" it burns a little slower than Unique. I've settled on 14 grs with 240/250 BTB bullets @ 1200'/" or so. It doesn't care where the powder is in the case. There no flash,bang,smoke when you light it off. Burns very clean..I even tried some of these loads in my new 1894P and found only grey ash in the ports. Shot that little ported barrel "late in the Evening" and the ports look like a jet going into afterburner. I also think AA5 is one of the best, if not the best, powder going in 4" to 6" barrels. Accurate Arms say you can go up to 14 grs in the SBH with 7.5" barrel with a 240 lead for 1400 '/". That's not half bad,,,for no flash, etc.
Best Regards, James

(Edited by James Gates at 2:37 pm on Mar. 1, 2001)

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
I too will have to cast a vote for AA #5 for your purposes!  In the .44's I haven't found any better powder for light loads, and in the .357 Mag, I simply shoot .38's and although no squib type load, using 6.2g AA #5, our .358"-160g FNBB bullet and any brass with WSPP, this load consistently shoots inch round holes at 30 yards with the handguns, and the same with the carbines at 75 yards.   A relatively quiet load that is superbly accurate, and comes out of a 6" Blackhawk at an honest 1000 fps!  Plenty enough for about 80% of what we use a handgun for around here!

You won't go wrong with AA #5.   As an aside, it also is my favorite powder in the .45 ACP as well!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
935 Posts
good timing today,
while I was out chrono'ing a load for my Outfitter, I chrono'd the load I mentioned in a previous post for 44 mag.  with a .432 LSWC bullet, 7.5 gr AA-2. Fed std primer and Starline cases, I got 965 fps.  This was with my SBH 4 5/8" bbl.  The es was 11 fps and the sd was 4.  Though I shot briefly offhand, the 50 yard groups (2 of them) ran under 5" except for a couple of called flyers.  With this load (a cheapo practice load) I can have a lot of fun.   I know that AA-2 is more versatile and a good powder in it's own right.  I thought you might like to hear about todays results.  Hope this is of some help.

God bless.................. Bill M

ps.. I have thought that with Marshall's 240gr WFN, un- hardened to bhn of 12 and driven to a similar velocity would make a wonderful working load for stomping around the PA woods.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Guess I should learn to type.
My previous posting said, " I know that AA-2 is more versatile and a good powder in it's own right."  I meant to write, .   I know that AA-5 is more versatile and a good powder in it's own right.   It should make more sense that way.

God bless.................  Bill M

1 - 7 of 7 Posts