Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reloading shot shells. Any powder suggestions for 2 3/4” low brass Rio hull? (hulls came with primer)
Using clay buster 2100 wad and Loading 1 oz. BBs. Considering TiteWad Clay buster powder or 700x powder.
any thoughts?

·
The Shadow
7,966 Posts
Whatever you have available, and is listed in your manual. Despite chatter to the contrary, there isn't ever a single magic powder.
There are lots of powders, which have several accuracy nodes within the listed data.
Just gotta start testing and find them.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
For reloading purposes it doesn’t matter what height the brass is. High vs Low is a simple visual indicator from the factory showing lower velocity loads with Low and higher velocity with High. It does nothing to contain pressure when used for reloading. It’s all about hull length in reloading shotgun shells. All your components must fit in the space allowed. It becomes critical what wad, powder, and amount of shot used so that the petals will crimp over properly.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,172 Posts
You'll have to find data for your components, obviously, but I generally used Red Dot for standard velocity 12 ga. I did try on can of 700X, and it worked fine, but Red Dot was more readily available in my area.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The RIO hulls I have are made by Cheddite so data for Cheddite hulls can be used for RIOs. The only thing you really need to worry about for your initial loading is to use data compatible with RIO primers since that's probably what they're primed with.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I really like Titewad and it is listed as a powder for that hull in 1 oz.. Clays would also be a decent choice. I have 16 lbs. of Titewad on hand, so you can see why I prefer it.

The CB2100 is a straight wall wad which is appropriate for your hull, but Titewad is pretty dense, so you may have to play with your stack height by looking at other wads or loading up or down a little with your shot weight. Of course, your powder amount will change and you will need to check verified load data.

Personally, I stay away from the Euro type hulls and prefer Winchester AA HS, Remington STS, Gun Club and Nitros. But sometimes you have to deal with what you have.

Good luck and all the best.

·
Premium Member
15,087 Posts
I've used (kegs of) Green dot since 1960.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I have been working my way through a factory case of Rio/Cheddite primed hulls. 1 1/8th oz loads, I use Promo for the powder charge (Alliant says to use Red Dot data if needed). The wad is a 12S3 or an RXP.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have been working my way through a factory case of Rio/Cheddite primed hulls. 1 1/8th oz loads, I use Promo for the powder charge (Alliant says to use Red Dot data if needed). The wad is a 12S3 or an RXP. View attachment 100317
The RXP is not a wad I would use on a straight walled case. Alliant lists a number of loads for straight wall cases using wads intended for tapered hulls, but from experience my results have been inconsistent. Those loads can be very temperature sensitive. Work okay in warm weather and all types of different results when it is cold.

Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts