Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dedicate my two Dillon 550 presses to loading the 44mag and 45LC and use the Lyman Turret for small quantity or small primer loading. With the turret, I use a Redding powder measure (separately). After review of recommendations, I've selected 3.0gr. of Bullseye for my first .38 Special target load. However, the Redding (a drum measure) really binds up with each throw and I'm getting .4gr. variation. I've gone as low as 4.0gr. Bullseye with the Dillons with no problems, but the Redding Drum measure just isn't going to work.

Soooooooo, what suggestion? I don't want to weight each load and I don't want to change the Dillons to small primers, so I suspect I need a different powder measure, but don't know what my options are.

Dan

·
Registered
306 Posts
DOK, I used a RCBS Little Dandy Powder Measure for years using the exact same load of 3grs bullseye in my target 38 loads. It seemed to throw the same charge all the time. Hope this might help.

Regards

Gun Runner

·
Registered
123 Posts
I cannot remember, but it seems that the Redding had a small charge fixture that was available, but maybe I am thinking of the RCBS.  Look at the catalogue.

dclark

·
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gunrunner/dclark,

I'll check around on the web sites for RCBS and Redding now that I know what to look for. I may need to give them a call as my local sport shop wasn't any help.

Thanks again,

Dan

·
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gunrunner/dclark,

Found the RCBS "little dandy pistol measure" and from the looks of the literature, might be a pretty economical way to solve the problem. The RCBS
"Uniflow" measure also indicates "you can throw charges from 0.5 gr of Bullseye to 110 grains of 4350--- thus another consideration. RCBS (if their literature is correct) has found a way of handling small charges that Redding hasn't discovered. Redding's current measures specs. indicate either 5.0gr or 10.0gr as the minimum charge. For an additional $35 or $46 (depends on the model) you can add a "pistol metering chamber) that will handle 0 to 10gr. charges.

I'm going to check and see if the Uniflow will fit into the Lyman turret, and if so, will go that way. But I'm going to call RCBS first to make doubly sure that it will handle what their web literature (from 0.5gr Bullseye) says.

Thanks for the help,

Dan

·
Registered
306 Posts
DOK, look in your message box, left a message in their for you

Gun Runner

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
RCBS Uniflow has an option for a 'small' metering chamber (which will actually throw up to 65-70gr. of rifle powder).  I leave the 'small' chamber in the powder measure at all times, actually.

When throwing charges as light as 1.5gr. Bullseye for lapping, I did not have any problems.  It will throw your 3.0gr. charge of Bullseye perfectly, that is my .357 target load.

·
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike,

First, thanks for the help.

Couple questions: do I need to purchase the "small chamber" separately or does it come with the Uniflow? The reason I ask is that that the RCBS web page on the Uniflow didn't reference a separate chamber. Also, does the Uniflow allow you to screw/insert it into a press (6 stage turret in my case) ?

Dan

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
I am pretty sure that the Uniflow comes with the big chamber - mine did, anyway.

The bottom of the measure is threaded same as a standard reloading die - 3/4" x 14.  However.... I think that the 'spout' of the press would hang too low for full travel of the ram.  On a turrent, probably not a problem, but wouldn't work for a progressive.  

Make sense?  I could take a picture if you like.

On the Uniflow, one worthwhile accessory is the micrometer dial.  Mainly, because you don't have to adjust it with a wrench, you can just give it a twist with your fingers and it stays put (plus after a while you can record the settings and this saves time).

·
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike,

Makes sense to me, Thanks for the help.

Dan

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Good Day All,

Just for general consumption and FYI:

Just a note regarding the Lee Safety Disc measure. (The one with the handle for manual use)

I just bought one and with a little "tweaking" it is becoming my favorite measure for pistol and small capacity rifle cases.

First off, I utilized the Upgraded powder hopper assembly and mounting bolts from the Upgrade kit available for the Auto disk. (The powder shut off feature is on this hopper.)

Then, I installed the Adjustable charge bar on it.

The "tweak" was to carefully sand down the top "rails" evenly on the measure's cast housing to fit the hopper assembly better to the charge bar to prevent leakage and take full benefit of the elastomer wiper ring on the bottom of the upgraded hopper. This was accomplished by holding the housing in hand upside down while lapping  the top "rails" against some 150 grit sandpaper backed up by a hard surface such as a table top. Do not use circular motions but instead a steady to and fro movement. Checking the fit often.

I'm currently using an extremely fine grained ball type pistol powder (WC820) and this slight modification works like a charm. With virtually no leakage at the charge bar/hopper/housing area.

The Micro-just charge bar I have found to be extremely accurate and repeatable. Dropping charges of Unique to +- 1/10th grain and even 4198 stick powder to +- 2/10ths grain. Anything finer is within 1/10th grain or less.

Just found out Lee is discontinuing this measure also. Par for the course, I guess. May be some still on the dealer shelves though.

FWIW

·
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Contender,

I have used a Lee measure very similiar to what you discribe except it was the "activate by key chain" progressive press utility. I also had good luck with the micro adjustment for accuracy, but if memory serves me correctly, I was limited on the top end capacity. About 20/21grs. was the limit. The thing (besides accuracy) I particularly enjoyed was the ability with a twist of the wrist to remove the powder silo. I sure wish Dillon would offer that capability.

The Lee measure went the way of the progressive press it was attached to when I couldn't get the press to stop flipping my primers upside down before insertion.

Dan

·
Registered
107 Posts
DOK,
Are you using your Redding powder measure with the Universal Metering Chamber or with the Pistol Metering Chamber?  I have used a Redding Model 3 Powder Measure since 1979 and have NEVER experienced the problem you describe BUT I use the Pistol Metering Chamber for light pistol loads.

The 2001 Redding Catalog shows (on page 22) that the Universal Metering Chamber (standard issue with their Model 3 Powder Measure) drops from approximately 5 grains to 100 grains of powder.  The Pistol Metering Chamber (item #03313) has a charge range of approximately 0 grains to 10 grains of powder.

Make sure you are using the right chamber (looks and works like a micrometer insert).  I will add that I drop 4.0 grains of HP38 from my Redding powder measure using the Pistol Metering Chamber and it never varies 1/10 of a grain as measured by my RCBS 5-10 scale.

Odessa

·
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Odessa,

you're correct, I'm using what is apparently called the universal chamber, never having tried / needed to measure anything lower than 8grs.. I've noticed the information you referenced when researching the Redding web site, but a problem still presents it self.  The Redding site indicated the pistol chamber is unique to the specific model of Redding measure, and I don't know my model number (purchased years ago -- and the darn measure doesn't have anything on it that identifies the model. Thus I have the problem of guessing which model I have, ordering the pistol chamber at $40/$50 and hoping I ordered the correct one. My first thought (after you folks alerted me to the pistol chamber) was to talk to Redding. However, it appears I can buy a complete RCBS measure for about the same price as the Redding pistol chamber and have the additional advantage of it screwing into my turret press.

Appreciate the information and you're correct in every account, but it appears my best option, price and convenience, is the RCBS route.

Thanks again,

Dan

·
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all.

Problem solved, as Gun Runner came up with a RCBS Little Dandy for me to use. The #3 insert throws 3.0gr of Bullseye each time, without any effort and I've already loaded/shot the first 50 rounds. Soooooo, thanks to you all better educated folks and particularly to Gun Runner for the "above and beyond" extra effort. With the exception of the Dillon 550B, I simply was not aware of the multiple cylinders required for high/low weights

Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts