Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a buddy who reloaded some 9mm, but used the wrong scoop for powder and instead of 3.5 they got 5.9, will this be safe to fire or pull the bullet and re reload?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Sounds pretty far out, but nobody will be able to help unless they know what the powder type is and the bullet weight and if the bullet is jacketed. For that matter, you could go on the website of the powder manufacturer and figure it out in less time than it took you to sign up and post your question here. Most of them keep a pretty good hand-load data section available. Particularly if you used IMR, Hodgdon, or Winchester powder. They are all together on Hodgdon's site.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Using rudimentary math, that is about a 60% increase in powder. Sounds to me like those bullets should be pulled.

·
Banned
484 Posts
It depends on the bullet type and weight and the type of powder. Also are you listing powder weights or measure numbers or cc's of powder? If you cannot provide all of that info for analysis, those rounds should be treated like hand grenades and either pulled apart or disposed of so that nobody will ever be able to fire them.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Without knowing the book load limits, we cannot say. (We don't know if the intended 3.5 is a mild load or maximum.) But the safest answer is a firm "NO!"

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,917 Posts
Do not load. Pull bullets, dump powder and start over with appropiate measure.

·
Registered
750 Posts
If memory serves me right, 5.9gr is still less than the max load if using 115gr FMJs with Unique, Blue Dot, AANo.5 or No.7. But then again, you wouldn't intentionally load No.5 or 7 with 3.5gr either. Unique, maybe.

Too much is dependent on the powder and projectile. I'd say pull them, then get a scale and a powder measure.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If in doubt, pull em.

Amen

After some one gets hurt when the gun blows apart, is not the time you wished you were not lazy enough to pull the rounds .

I have seen a 357 Colt come apart with some ones 38 Spl "Whoops" reloads .And they should have been OK , but "should and is" was just an opinion in this case .
Pull the loads !!

·
Super Moderator
13,632 Posts
AVIVIII got it right. A powder that is satisfactory with 3.5 grains will most likely not be safe at 5.9 grains. An inexact rule of thumb is that the pressure will increase as the square of the change in powder quantity if the loads are uncompressed. More if they are compressed. 5.9 is about 1.7 times more powder. 1.7²=2.9, so you are looking at almost three times more pressure, regardless of what powder and bullet are used.

In QuickLOAD, for example, a Speer 115 grain round nose FMJ at 1.69" COL over 3.5 grains of Bullseye produces a very safe 14,700 psi, while 5.9 grains produces 42,100 psi which just exceeds the +P+ SAAMI limit.

If I increase the bullet to Hornady's 124 grain FMJ, also seated to 1.69" COL, the predicted pressures are 19,800 psi and 61,500 psi. The first is safe, but the second will blow the case and damage the gun and maybe the shooter. The second is significantly compressed.

If I go still further to a 147 grain Hornady FMJ at 1.69" COL, the two pressures are 27,000 psi and 91,000 psi for 3.5 and 5.9 grains of Bullseye, respectively, thought the second load is so highly compressed (138% case capacity) that I doubt is could be assembled. The first pressure is getting near a maximum load, while the second will definitely destroy the gun and likely part of the shooter, as well.

We've already had one lost hand reported on the board recently, and don't need another. Pull the bullets.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i talked to him some more, powder is hodgden titegroup, and they are loaded with 115 gr lead,

solid lead, no copper

·
Registered
127 Posts
.... powder is hodgdon titegroup, and they are loaded with 115 gr lead,

solid lead, no copper
4.3grains of titegroup is a maximum charge that is worked up to slowly in small increments if maximum pressure and maybe not accuracy is what your after. The load you list is way way over the maximum safe powder charge. Pull those bullets !!!
Those loads are only good for trigger activated bombs in the shape of a pistol!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts