Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to start loading for the 270 with 130 gr bullets. What Ive read in my loading manuals shows that really slow powders, and I mean surprisingly slow ones like RL22 are good choices. I was not at all expecting super slow powders to be the supposed best choices. What are typically the better powders for the good old 270 Win/130gr bullet combo?

·
Banned
484 Posts
It's pretty hard to beat 60.0 grains of H4831 with the 130 grain bullet. That load with the 130 gr. Nosler Partition bullet produces 3,130 fps. out of my 24" barrel and shoots MOA in my rifle. H4831 is THE classic powder in the .270.

·
Registered
13,209 Posts
Im about to start loading for the 270 with 130 gr bullets. What Ive read in my loading manuals shows that really slow powders, and I mean surprisingly slow ones like RL22 are good choices. I was not at all expecting super slow powders to be the supposed best choices. What are typically the better powders for the good old 270 Win/130gr bullet combo?
Reclusive Ursine,

I have tried a good number of powders for the 270, although I have always used 140 grain bullets because I like their blend of higher BC/SD, which equates to better terminal performance at longer ranges, without sacrificing much trajectory. I started with IMR-4350 and had excellent accuracy, but found it to be temperature sensitive, losing velocity and point of aim in single digit temps. I switched to H4831 and got groups nearly as good and found that my velocity and velocity spreads were much more tolerant of cold weather.

For the 130 grain bullets, I would say RL22 is about as slow as you'd want to go. Something more along the lines of RL19, Ramshot Hunter or 4350 will probably serve you better. If you work up loads and sight in during summer, be sure to fire a few groups in cold weather, to check your velocity and point of impact.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I don't own or load for one, but as a general rule, when you neck a cartridge down, you need to move to a slower powder due to the reduced expansion ratio.

If the .30-06 shines on 4350, therefore, we'd expect to move to a slower powder then 4350 for a 7mm or .277" bore diameter. No surprise then that IMR 4831 and the slightly slower H 4831 shine in the .280 and .270, respectively.

Jack O'Connor swore by the 130-gr bullet and a charge of H4831 that is a bit warmer than is recommended today - but the surplus powder he used may have been a bit weaker than today's version, also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
H4831,61gr and a 130gr barnes xlc was outstanding for me. I like H4831 with 150gr sierras as well a tight grouper with slightly compressed loads.

·
Banned
14 Posts
I used to load H4831 and 130 Nosler Partitions in my Ruger #1. Got 3225 out of it, and 1" groups. It was the old O'Conner load, and I too have heard it was too hot for today. Hard to damage that falling block, though. How many grains was that, Rocky? After 20 years I"m not sure.

Joe

·
Banned
502 Posts
H4831, I would start with 56 grains and work you way up, this is a compressed load for the 270.

Jerry

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
woo hoo! You guys are great, lmao. I have LOTS of H4831..... That is wonderfull news. Well, all thats left is to get to work, and Ive got a rifle borrowed in 270 to work the loads up with a M77 Ruger in excellent condition. So, H4831 is "the" 270 powder..and I find the statment that necking a case down usually means slower powders interesting, I did not know that. Thank you for the info friends.

God bless

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hi, I have shot and loaded for the 270 win for over 40 years and have never shot anything but a 130gr pill. I would seriously take a look at IMR 4350 as I have under 1" moa and traveling just under 3050fps. My new CDL has a 24" barrel and really likes the Nosler Accubond.
I agree with the necked down theroy as the 7mm mag really likes that 4350 as well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have run several through mine from IMR-3031 to RL-25 and bullet weights from 120 - 150, with the 130's being by and far the most used.

The powders mentioned will all shine with the right bullet combination in just about any .270. I have recently switched over to Ramshot Hunter for everything in that particular rifle. The accuracy and velocity I am getting with the 130gr Hornady SST has topped just about anything I have gotten from the Noslers, and on game performance has been outstanding.

Good luck with yours, I highly doubt you will find many faults with it.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Joe, the only 270 in my life was my father's - and that was about 1960. Worse, being both perverse and pig-headed, he loaded it with 4064.

Keep in mind that when O'Connor chose 4831 back then, there was not only just one flavor of 4831, but there were almost no other suitable powders available for it at all. Today, you couldn't swing a cat without knocking a dozen suitable powders off the shelf in your gun store. Yet, any of the four (yes, FOUR) flavors of 4831 are still almost perfect for the .270.

Four? Yup: IMR 4831, H4831, H4831SC - and - Accurate 3100!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I've shot most of the powders mentioned and for me in 3 Rem 700's, none have given me the combo of accuracy and velocity as well as RL22. I can post some group pics, but the #1 powder I would start with is RL22. My #2 choice is Ramshots Hunter. It has been very impressive as little as I've worked with it and it does have to potential to upseat RL22 as my favorite powder in this cartridge. It has been that good.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hi M1Garand, I have found that the Reloader powders to be very dirty. What has been your experience?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Hi M1Garand, I have found that the Reloader powders to be very dirty. What has been your experience?
Sask, it's been pretty much a non issue to me. My understanding is the Ramshot powders are very clean but I've not had any incidents that would make me not want to use RL 22 in this cartridge, even if it were a little dirtier than some others. It's been that good for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Depends on what your criteria will be for the reloads.

I am trying to reduce my inventory of different powders. I find IMR4350 or H4350 to be a good selection for 30-06, 270 Win and 243 Win. I find good efficiency, good velocity and reasonable accuracy.

Probably not the 'best' by any means but acceptable accuracy for hunting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts