Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I was sitting around thinking (always a dangerous thing!) and thought this question:

First, let me say that I don't currently reload and even if I did, I wouldn't try something like this anyway without proper documentation, etc.. Also, I'm definitely not recommending or requesting anyone to try it out...

so.. the question: What would happen if you mixed two powders together... say a handgun or shotgun powder (fast, I'm assuming) with a slow burning powder (rifle) for your rifle cartridges? I imagine that getting a consistent mix would be near impossible unless you did it cartridge by cartridge... and then, what if you filled the cartridge first with the fast then the slow on top of that? (I guess it would get mixed up anyway unless you made some way to keep them separate.)

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Your last suggestion is what is called a duplex load. You can search the web for a lot of information on duplex loads. Usually the fast powder is used to get a second powder that is normally too slow for the cartridge to light up well enough to become useful. It's a way of using that can of of surplus 30mm powder up in something much smaller, like a .300 RUM. However, no experiment I am aware of has even garnered performance superior to simply buying the best commercial powder choice for the .300 RUM (or whatever you are running the slow stuff in). It enables a marginal performance in place of squibbing out and leaving a bullet stuck in the bore, but it's not a magic bullet, so to speak.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts