Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Alan,

You could try to make up a batch of Ed's Red if you are mainly using it for your revolter.

Here you go;

http://beartoothbullets.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=1&topic=268

:cool:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Alan,

Check the wife's perfume bottle, chances are that she stashed some Hoppes away in hopes of distracting you in a weak moment. 8*)

Makin a batch o' "Ed's" may be as fun as dippin errors though.

Scotty

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
I've used Hoppe's for as long as I've shot and have never found another solvent do appreciably better for a well-handloaded weapon. Buy a big one this time so it'll last a while. Besides, the smell is worth the cost!

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Yes, good idea on the larger size but, if I'm not mistaken some of the bigger bottles incur a HazMat fee now so If you mailorder it, check this out first.

Shop around locally too.

Regards,

:cool:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well...I done bought me a big ol' jug of Hoppe's.  I went to the gun shop to do an olfactory test - salesman was convinced I was more than a bit tetched.  Nothing compares to that wonderful #9 fragrance.  Most of the other stuff available is down-right nasty.

Alan "have clean gun and good smelling too" Ransom

·
Registered
53 Posts
I catagorize solvents in two groups:

1) Removes copper fouling
a) Butch's boreshine
b) Sweet's 762
c) ammonia from the grocery store

2) Removes powder fouling
a) every solvent out there

My motto is pick powder solvent that smells good to you.

Hoppe's #9 has had bannana oil for the 40 years I have been sniffing it, and probably longer.

What smells best to me is Break Free Bore Cleaner. I bought a pint of it for &#3617 and put it in smaller bottles.

Shooter's choice smells horrible to me, so my bottle is going to last a long time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts