Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, all
I am getting started in reloading and will eventually be loading .357, 9MM and .44. Initially .357 cast bullets 158 gr. SWC in a Ruger Blackhawk. I have decided on equipment, bullets, etc, but am stuck on powder. I am considering buying 7lbs of surplus powder that equals AA#7, for the cost and the fact that loads are available for this powder (from Accurate Arms) in the three calibers mentioned. Am I on the wrong track? Should I purchase a different powder in the one pound can and pay the higher price? My main reasons for reloading are cost and the expirience.
Thank You in advance,
Andy

An update, my wife has told me when I start reloading I will be shooting by myself for the first "couple of years" LoL

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've used AA#7 in .357 mag with very good results. Flows well thru a powder measure, too. My personal favrite for all 3 cartridges you listed is Unique. It is really versatile, but a tad dirty. Beyond this powder choice is very personal. 7 pounds will last a very long time in handgun loading. Store it in a cool dry place well away from an ignition source as it will burn like hades if ignited. Good luck.

·
Banned
57 Posts
I prefer hodgdon powders,they are clean burning,and I've had excellent results with them in 9mm 44,45,440,and 50 ae.
if you are going to use surplus powder,please buy a cheap chronograph to test out the velocities you are getting.lots vary,and your first keg of powder could be much faster or slower than previous lots.surplus powders save you about 50% on the cost so apply this to the price of a chronograph and you will be able to produce cheap,accurate,and dependable loads.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I also agree that Hodgdon powders are very good, I like H110 but I also like WW296 for my 44 mag & 454 casull as well. H110 & WW296 are close to each other grain for grain.The old stand bye of course is Unique cheap and goes a long way, but its on the dirty side, good for moderate loads. Good luck on your reloading and stay within reloading spec's and you will do well. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I did not know that H110 & WW296 are made in the same plant ;) H110 is Hodgdon/WW296 is Winchester as much as I knew. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Banned
57 Posts
hodgdon rules !

hodgdon doesnt make any powder except pyrodex or some other black powder substitute.they buy in bulk and repackage,which is fine with me.some probably are reblended versions etc.I'm trying some surplus wc820,supposedly uses h110 data, but looks more like aa#9.members have warned me to use the aa#9 data,and I intend to use the lower charge and a chrono to set up my loads.wish the manufacturers would cut out the marketing people,and just give us the facts.all the powders use the same chemical makeup just different mixtures.the new product that comes to market is the same product that was discontinued the year before...its new and improved !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts