Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been experimenting with AA 5. The goal is to be between 1100 and 1200 fps with mild recoil.  I can obatin just over 1100 fps with 14 grs under 240gr xtp, but my hand takes a pounding. I've been buying 240 SWC made by Enforcer Inc. They come out at nearly 1200 fps (I realize not apples to apples with the swc and xtp) and are pretty pleasant to shoot. Anybody know what powder Enforcer uses or have any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
My pet load right now for the XTP 240 gr. is 20.4 gr of IMR 4227. This is mild recoil and velocity should be between 1000 and 1100. I don't have any data for AA #5. The verdict is still out on hunting performance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
IMO AA#5 is a mighty fast powder for this application. If you're like me and prefer to stay away from the 110 and 296 powders,  IMR 4227 is a very good alternative.  You'd probably also have better luck with blue dot or AA#9 than what you're using now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The muzzle blast with slow powders and short barrels sure seems like it wants to unbutton your shirt and blow your hat off doesn't it?  I've used Blue Dot and New Unique in a 2 1/2 " 357 w/180s and it's FAR more pleasant to shoot than my "full house" loads with 296. (Not that much slower either)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Right now I've settled on 12.7grs of AA5 and am just over 1000fps. I really want to get the velocity a little higher, but the pros are accuracy is pretty good and is very clean to shoot. When I get through the AA5 I may give the suggested powders a try. Hopefully a deer will corporate next week and come in close enough and I'll do a performance check on this round.

Again thanks for the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts