Shooters Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
30-06 sprg

I plan to load my 30-06 brass with H4831.
Using these 3 projectiles (.308)
Hornady v max 110 gr.
Hornady 110 gr. SP
And
Sierra 110 gr. HP

I did not find a powder mix for my situation.
Will someone advise?

I'm thinking around 53.1gr
Scott

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I plan to load my 30-06 brass with H4831.
Using these 3 projectiles (.308)
Hornady v max 110 gr.
Hornady 110 gr. SP
And
Sierra 110 gr. HP

I did not find a powder mix for my situation.
Will someone advise?

I'm thinking around 53.1gr
Scott
That's because H4831 is for heavy bullets not lightweights. It is the powder to use with 180gr bullets.

For 110gr bullets, look to H4895, IMR 3031, 4064.

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
Yes. Using a powder that slow with bullets that light can ring a barrel or even extinguish and leave a bullet stuck in the bore as an obstruction which, if you don't notice the problem occurred, can burst the gun on the next attempt to fire it. So there's potential danger from trying to use a powder that slow with the light bullet.

Even though Hodgdon lists them, having measured secondary pressure spikes by strain gauge when using powders too slow for the bullet weight, and knowing the pressure measure method used by SAAMI doesn't detect them, so Hodgdon would not be aware of them, I would stick with the IMR 3031 and Benchmark loads they list. For lighter loads, switch to IMR 4198, 40-46 grains.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
this is a strange question, not being answered properly IMHO...H110 and 296 are not powders for 300 win mag under any circumstanes IMO or any rifle IMO short of cartridges like the 38-40 and 44-40 for instance that are both rifle and pistol cartridges...

RL-19, 22 and 25 are, IMR 4831 and H4350 are rifle powders that fill or come close to filling a 300 Win. case and that in itself prevents dropping a double charge, it also gives the best accuracy and highest velocity...Just examples, lots of other powders like WW-760, IMRs etc.

My answer is based on the assumption that I didn't miss anything in the original post, it seem perhaps I did??

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
For the 300 Win. Mag and the .338 simplify your life, use RL-22, RL-19...It meters smooth with no cutting, gives you the most velocity with most bullet weights, especially the heavier bullets like 180 and 200s in the .300 and 210, 225 and 250 in the .338., even the 300 in my .338s...I have a lot of old surplus 4831, the stuff that Jack O'Connor used and its a great powder velocity wise and its accurate, but you must weigh every charge as it won't meter worth beans..

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
this is a strange question, not being answered properly IMHO...H110 and 296 are not powders for 300 win mag under any circumstanes IMO or any rifle IMO short of cartridges like the 38-40 and 44-40 for instance that are both rifle and pistol cartridges...

My answer is based on the assumption that I didn't miss anything in the original post, it seem perhaps I did??[/QUOTE]

Yes. The OP was asking if two powders were comparative in burn rate, similar to......

"Are Win. Supreme 780 and Hodg. Superformance possiblly the roughly same powder. About like H110--- and Win 296"

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
Yes, the "About like…" is ambiguous, as it doesn't make clear whether it refers to burn rates or to the twin natures of different pairs of powder numbers. In this case it means the latter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a 30-06 Ackley Improved Rem 700 and I really never was impressed with it until I worked up a load with the Superformance powder and a magnum primer and it has finally made the 30-06AI all worth it, I am now getting 3,140fps with 165gr SST bullets without any stiff bolt or any other pressure sign.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Happy Independence Day, Greg,

I've read that H-4831 performs exceptionally well in the .300 Win Mag. I have no actual experience because I don't own a .300 Win Mag. I do know that I get better than 3100 FPS with Nosler 160 grain Partitions and 67 grains of H-4831 out of my 24" barreled 7MM Rem Mag. This is a load out of 1975 issue of Handloader . It's 3 grains under maximum according to Handloader. There are absolutely no signs of pressure with this load when fired in my rifle. I know I could increase it were I so inclined. But it'll easily shoot under an inch at a hundred. I ain't gonna mess with success. Even better, it'll one-shot kill huge bull elk.

Powder manufacturers routinely introduce new powders, and their marketers do their best to separate us from our money. Most often, powder that has been around for decades or longer works just as good if not better than new stuff. There's a reason that H-4831 has stuck around for closing in on a century and remains popular with hunters. Ditto for Unique.

I use 60 grains of H-4831 with either 130 grain Sierra GameKings or Ballistic Tips in my 270 Win rifles. It'll shoot .25" at a hundred with better than 3000 FPS out of 22 inch barrels. Either bullet will drop mule deer in their tracks.

As long as a wheel rolls, there ain't no sense in reinventing it. A hundred FPS either way ain't gonna change the outcome as long as bullets destroy equipment necessary for big game animals to pump oxygenated blood topside. Nothing living remans it that condition without oxygenated blood to its brain. Every year archery hunters kill big game as large as Yukon moose with arrows traveling at ~300 FPS.

Greg, I hope you find the powder that gives you best results, and you're able to do so without spending a fortune on powder and endless days on a range testing it.

·
Premium Member
14,218 Posts
Me too. The prices had doubled by then!! Hundred pound drums of the IMR powders was $53 in 1967.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,166 Posts
A few short years ago before Hodgdon figured out how to "market" CFE223, there were many of us burning that powder at not a whole lot above those prices. Difference between a wholesaler re-selling surplus, or a "Brand" reselling surplus.:D

Reactions: JWSmith1959

·
Registered
306 Posts
748 powder in my 17 Remington

It has been my go to powder for a long time.Looked at some fired 17 Remington brass today and they were filthy.
Any body out there shoot one of these rocket small bore?
What other powder should I try.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I think with the 375 Ruger, you should just use RL-15 its your most efficient power as to accuracy and velocity, why fix something that ain't broke..other powders come close but no ceeegar! according to my targets and chronograph. I used RL-19, RL-17 and Rl-22 and a ton of old milsurp 4831, as I have about 30 lbs on hand from years gone by..Mentioned powders all worked well, but I settled on RL-15 for a number of reasons..I did take note that old world surplus 4831 got lots of velocity and was super accurate in my gun, but its hard to meter, and might require measuring every load by some, but I just measured set my measure with a scale to desired charge and metered it without weighing as I always do with that powder, pressure is very low and velocity is high, a case full shows no sign of pressure and one book showed max loads at 40.000 PSI, all other loads were 55,000 to 65,000 PSI, and those loads are max but a good max in my gun, no problems and long case life, which the 375 Ruger is known for..Its a dandy caliber and as much as Ive love the old H&H over the years, I believe this Ruger is more of the same but better..

21 - 35 of 35 Posts