Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, upon cleaning out the garage I found that termites had gotten to a take off stock from my Winchester 70 and also taken residence inside the old 30-06 barrel. The bore was completely plugged with dead termites and rust. Well, the stock was trashed, but I thought I'd save the barrel and try to clean it. I'm not going to do anything to this barrel on the outside, as it is never going on another rifle, EVER. But, I can use it to experiment cleaning methods that I wouldn't try on anything that I cared about. Such as Naval Jelly, muriatic (or other) acids, tufts of steel wool, etc. A hammer and a drill rod, applied forcefully, now lets me see from end to the other, but the grooves and lands are indisctint. It will take some doing. If it can be cleaned I can learn a lot from it. Also, I've been meaning to shorten another gun's barrel, and this one could let me practice a few times if need be, so as to get it right on the other the first time.

If anything different from the conventional wisdom is learned, I'll report.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Try the old standby, soap and water, hot water, lots of it. Scrub with bore brushes till the patches come out clean then use something like PB Blaster to coat the bore and protect from furthur rusting.

·
Banned
126 Posts
I would give brake fluid with a phospher bronze brush a try and see how that goes. Plug both ends with the barrel full and let soak over night, pull the plugs and start scrubbing with the brush.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Depending on the length of time they were in the barrel, you might not have much left in the way of rifleing. I presume it was some species of subterranean termite, and the mud/feces shelter tube holds moisture very efficiently. Not going to be good for barrel steel!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to give the brake fluid a try. Nothing else has worked. I can see most of the rifling, meaning the lands stand out and don't look too bad, but the grooves look real, real bad. So far I've put all kinds of cleaners in there. From Hoppes #9 to Buch's bore shine to Ed's Red. Rubbing compound, Simichrome polish, JB Cleaning compound. Phosphor bronze and nylon brushes chucked in electric drills... The lands seemed to have cleaned up somewhat, the grooves are still a mess. I'll try and find some rubber stopper for the barrel to fill it with brake fluid. I'll also get some naval jelly.

More to follow.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,095 Posts
You could use the barrel to practice lapping, as well.

·
Banned
126 Posts
You can use wood dowels to plug at least one end of the barrel. It may take more than one application. Another thing maybe to try may be transmission fluid, but brake fluid generally cleans pretty good. Just see what it does to car paint!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts