what distance do you all practice at
I am pretty new to handguns so I do most of my practice at 25 yds and closer
I use a iron sighted Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 magnum
Just curious is all
thanks

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Generally 25 yds as thats the distance of my range in the backyard. However, when ranges permit I'll shoot 100m standing and have taken shots out to 300m with my issued M9 in Iraq (known distance range was 485yds max)

CD

·
Registered
385 Posts
21 feet and 45 feet on silhoette targets, 75 feet for bullseye targets. the first 2 are defensive ranges and the last for competitive shooting. i've taken deer out as far as 100 yards with a .44Mag and you should practice some at that range if you plan to shoot at that distance. other than scoped bottleneck cartridge handguns the best you'll do is pie plate sized groups at that range anyway. anyone telling you otherwise is pulling your leg. even the best bullseye shooter do no better than 2.5" groups at 25 yards, so multiply that times 4 at 100.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Never closer than 10yds, not usually over 50yds. I do some handgun hunting, while I don't usually take shots over 50yds, I know what my hunting guns are capable of out to 75yds.

15-25yds is a good distance for target shooting.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Now days my wife and I only are concerned with defending ourselvers against the criminal issue of our society. In thus doing, we practice at 5ft, 10ft, 15ft & 21 ft most of the time and always moving away from the threat wihile shooting at paper plates set up at the range.
Once the CCW practice is over we shoot at 15 and 25 yard targets at slow fire. Seldom do we shoot over 50 rounds each for this type of practice. Our main focus is getting to our carry gun in a hurry and putting those shots on target as we move away from the threat.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Try this if you have a good backstop. Cut a 4X4 into 1' sections, and paint them white. Then back off 50-100yds and knock them down. I rarely shoot at spots these days, as it's a bit boring. I use a target to sight in, or check accuracy, but practice is more fun with something that tips over or falls down. The 4X4 chunks hold up quite well, even with my SBH. I use 6" chunks of 2X4 for .22LR practice.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
My wife who is still the apple of my eye, is no spring chicken being in her mid 60's but she shoots and carries a Glock model 27 .40cal and I use a Glock model 20 in 10mm. Best you learn to defend yourselfs, the police are going to be 10 to 30 minutes away from the time you may need them and that spells trajedy for anyone needing help in a hurry. :)

·
Banned
397 Posts
I shoot IDPA so I practice slow fire at 25 yards. If I want to
shoot quick I move in to 15 yards or less.

Zeke

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Everything from 21 ft to 100 yards with handguns.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
Seven to 150 yard. Self defense is all close range but shooting for fun can be long range just to see if I can hit them far off dirt clods and rocks.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Now days my wife and I only are concerned with defending ourselvers against the criminal issue of our society. In thus doing, we practice at 5ft, 10ft, 15ft & 21 ft most of the time
I thought the rule of thumb was that 21' was the closest you would want to engage a perp because they could close the distance before you can get a shot off from a holstered gun? At least that was what I was told.

I'm not challenging you on this, just always learning.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Well, its been determined that 21' can be covered in less time than a police officer can draw and fire his firearm.

Shooting someone from more than 21' is pretty likely to get you jail time as it will be pretty hard to show your life was in imminent danger.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Mattsbox-99, there were 2 young men in my wife's CCW class that proved they could get to a person holding with a holstered pistol in less than 2.3 seconds, as they used their rubber knives to touch those that were holding the toy pistol. So in essence or reality, you best be able to draw and fire your CCW weapon in less than 1.5 seconds. This takes a whole lot of practice believe me, especially if your over 50 years old, which I am by a long shot.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
practice in close for self defence.. its doubtful the bad guy is gonna start running toward you with a knife or gun,, from 25-40 yrds..hollering give me you wallet..just not a real thing to expect.. imo.. more than likely hes gonna be 10 yrds or most likly very much closer.. be very observant of whats going on around you..
then you might be able to just point an shoot until aggression has stopped.. if you are lucky that is..jmo
handle the gun an really get to know it..then handle it some more an practice some more.. slim
ps confidense in your abilities will help you more than anything ,,i know of..an good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts