Shooters Forum banner

Prairie Coyote Gun

5K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  sheedy 
with the 243 how far is the killing range on yotes?
A lot farther than you should be trying, especially if you need to ask the question. The real question needs to be, "How far away can you keep all your shots inside about a 5 or 6 inch circle?" YOU and the gun need to be able to put the shot into a coyote's chest for it to be effective, and a coyote's chest is not very big. THAT is the limiting factor for a .243.

The cartridge itself is capable of a clean kill on a coyote at very long ranges. The shooter and the gun will be much more limited in real life hunting situations than will the theoretical limits of the cartridge.

Besides, my goal when I'm hunting coyotes is to call them close. I seldom shoot at a coyote outside of 300 yards. My theory is that it is far better to let a suspicious coyote quietly leave on his own and try for him again in a week or so, than it is to take a shot that misses and then have an educated coyote that will seldom respond to a call again for months. Even worse is to wound one with a long shot that doesn't quite miss. THAT is not fun at all. So, I don't shoot at extreme ranges very much at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.