Shooters Forum banner

Prairie Coyote Gun

5K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  sheedy 
#1 ·
Looking for a new coyote gun. I will be shooting in the prairies, where it is usually windy, and i will need to be taking some fairly long shots at times. I also do some calling. I do not reload. Just wondering what you guys use and what you would use for the above criteria. I want a dedicated coyote/varmit gun.

Thanks

#2 ·
I have three rifles I use depending on the area I'm hunting. If the weather isn't miserable I usually take a .22-250. Windy and rotten weather and those where I expect long shots, pick the Abolt stainless stalker in 25-06. Close in shooting with a chance of muliple targets a Colt AR in 5.56.

Most of the times I pick the wrong rifle for what i encounter but all will do the job.

#3 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Yeah, the 22-250 is a great gun. But in the wind the 243 or 25-06 would be a good choice. I have both and would probably grab the 243 myself because there is definitely more loaded ammo to choose from. There's certainly quite a few choices with the 25-06 but really many more with the 243. The Winchester 85gr BT for the 25-06 is a pretty mean ole boy on coyotes, long range or short. I would personally get either one with at least a 24 inch barrel if not longer. The 25-06 for sure needs at least a 24 inch tube to better it's potential, anyway good luck to ya with whatever you decide on and let us know !

#7 · (Edited)
Have you chosen wich gun you intend to buy?

You have narrowed down the caliber to .243 and 25-06. The 25-06 will have more recoil and energy and can handle a heavier bullet but for coyote and varmit, an 80-100 gr. bullet will be plenty.

The .243 has less recoil but plenty of power for your needs and the ammo is more plentiful and cheaper than 25-06.

I would choose the .243 but both are good calibers.

#8 ·
Both of these guns are very versatile, the 25-06 is a 30-06 necked down to .257 caliber and the 243 is a 308 necked down to .243 caliber. You can use smaller bullets with the 243 and larger ones with the 25-06. The 25-06 has a little more recoil and if you don't handload there's not as many choices of ammo already loaded for it. Having said that there's still at least 30+ loads for the 25-06 but you can easily find 60+ for the 243. 25-06 ammo might be a little more cost wise. The 243 has many loads that are 85grs, 90grs, 95grs, and 100grs loaded that you can use for deer and antelope hunting. They are both great calibers and the 243 has enough energy to humanely and properly take deer and antelope at 300 yards and go really long on coyotes and varmints. Personally i'd go with the 243, I have both but just favor my 243.

#10 ·
243 it is!!!! what guns would you recomend im possibly thinking a "varmit" style rifle would be good since i mostly shoot from my truck or in a prone/seated position. i dont do very much walking with the rifle, i usually just set up and call them in or see them running in the field while im driving and try to take a shot(if its safe).

#11 ·
A Remington 700VLS. (bottom rifle in this picture)

It will shoot groups like this:

58 grain Vmax, 100 yards, 3600 fps and change.

RJ

#12 ·
A Remington 700VLS. (bottom rifle in this picture)
I had a M700V/.243 for many years, and I used it for production varmint shoots. On a good day (for me), it would turn in 1/4"-1/2" groups all day. Ground hogs and foxes 400yds out were in desperate trouble. Prairie dog shoots wore it out. :(

I'd look for one of those if carrying it all day isn't part of the plan.

#13 ·
I have both the 22-250 and 243 and about 20 years ago I had a 25/06 Vanguard that I LOVED but someone borrowed it from my truck one night without asking! :mad:

I carry my 22/250 on my farm for yotes, wandering dogs, beavers, muskrats etc... but I'm rarely taking shots over 300yds and especially not in "out west/Canadian prarie winds". If I were in your situation and could only have one of the 3 mentioned, I'd probably have to go with the 243! My boys have 2 of them and I must admit, it is a SWEET and very versatile caliber. ;)

#14 ·
You could split the difference between the .243 and 25-06 and get a .260 Rem. Just a thought. The .260 seems to be enjoying quite a resurgence lately.

#15 ·
I personally hate the 270 Win but have to admit that with a 110 grn V Max out of a 24 to 26 inch barrel at 3300fps, it has to be a contender. Hornady also make a 100gr projectile for it, but the V max will fly better. Added to this of course is you could up the anti to a 150grain bullet for larger game. 270 ammo would probably be more available and maybe cheaper than 25-06.

Why shoot small bullets , when you can make a big hole.

#18 ·
A lot farther than you should be trying, especially if you need to ask the question. The real question needs to be, "How far away can you keep all your shots inside about a 5 or 6 inch circle?" YOU and the gun need to be able to put the shot into a coyote's chest for it to be effective, and a coyote's chest is not very big. THAT is the limiting factor for a .243.

The cartridge itself is capable of a clean kill on a coyote at very long ranges. The shooter and the gun will be much more limited in real life hunting situations than will the theoretical limits of the cartridge.

Besides, my goal when I'm hunting coyotes is to call them close. I seldom shoot at a coyote outside of 300 yards. My theory is that it is far better to let a suspicious coyote quietly leave on his own and try for him again in a week or so, than it is to take a shot that misses and then have an educated coyote that will seldom respond to a call again for months. Even worse is to wound one with a long shot that doesn't quite miss. THAT is not fun at all. So, I don't shoot at extreme ranges very much at all.

#22 ·
If cost is an issue, you might check out the Weatherby Vanguard. I have each of the three you list except the Tikka. Good friend of mine has one in .270, though, and he's pleased with it. Matter of personal preference. Good luck on your choice.

#23 ·
Savage is a very accurate rifle also. The new Weatherby Vanguard S2 is as well very very accurate. But it's like you said it's about which one appeals to you in all area's, balance, how it shoulders, how it feels in your hands, etc. Of the 3 you listed I don't have or have ever had. The Savage and new Weatherby I do have and the Weathery isn't any more than the ones your talking about and it has sub-moa guaranteed accuracy.

#25 ·
Thanks for the clarification, Fred. I was talking about the Vanguard S2, though if you want to spend a bit more, getting the original Vanguard-Sub MOA with the nicer stock isn't a bad option, either.

#29 ·
The Vanguard S2 equivalent of the subMOA model is the "range certified." They include a target signed by ed weatherby. Here's the link to Weatherby site: Vanguard® Series 2 RC (Range Certified) | Weatherby.com. Discount Hunting Supplies & Shooting Supplies, Ammunition - Able Ammo has them in stock. Check it out. It's probably what I'll get when I get my .338 WM. Weatherby Range Bolt Action Rifle VMT243NR4O, 243 Winchester, 24 in, Green/Black Stock, Matte Black - Able Ammo. I actually like the green/black combo better on the stock than the old Vanguard SubMOA finish. Just personal preference.

#33 · (Edited)
I use a Tikka T3 Hunter in .270 winchester it bucks the wind and with the 135 gr Matchkings can shoot incredible groups. also you can buy ammo any where and usually places always has it in stock..

8 shot group from 100yds

it will paste groups at 300 yds under 2"! im sure it would do better if I could!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.