Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from the UK.
Does anyone out there shoot prarie dogs?
If you do would you consider an exchange holiday?
I can arrange for you to shoot in the Uk, Rabbits by lamp light.red fox by lamp light and deer stalking(not on your scale but at least we can go out!) and if you are realy keen a bit of rat shooting thrown in for good measure.

Email me if you are up for a spot of Lamping in the UK.

What range do you shoot your prarie dogs?
what guns are used mostly?
How many questions can I ask??

Dave

·
Registered
83 Posts
Come on out to Wyoming and enjoy freedom. I have no desire to visit your country but your sure welcome to visit here and shoot to your hearts content. I mostly spend my summers shooting picket pins and coyotes up on the mountain where its cooler. I shoot lever action rifles only, so we have fun at what we're doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You're more than welcome to reduce the PD (and coyote) population here in North Dakota!  I'll also pass on hunting in Britain due to the firearms restrictions.

For PDs, you can use anything from a .22 LR to a .50 BMG, but most people either use whatever .22 rimfire they have on hand or an accurate bolt action in .223 Rem, .22-250 Rem, or .220 Swift here.  I normally use a .22-250 for PDs and coyotes but I once used a 7mm Remington Magnum (120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip) ,,,talking about long range PD busting, it's a hoot!  Whatever cartridge you prefer should have a very frangible bullet  to prevent richochets.  

Ranges for prairie dog shooting varies from 10 to 500 yards or so.  Whenever they pop-up, shoot 'em!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,461 Posts
Dave, you'd better not.... one squeeze of the trigger and you won't want to go back!  And if you do, it'll take a month to wipe the smile off of your face, and Immigration will think you're smuggling something!

Seriously, sounds like a heck of a deal.  Wish I could take you up on it - been overseas a couple of times and enjoyed it.  I've shot a few 'dogs in western Kansas, but don't live there, so don't have regular access.  Used a .22-250 (50 gr. soft points), a .220 Swift (don't remember what load), and my .257 Roberts with 75 gr. HP's.  They all blew up dogs in a most satisfactory manner.  Next time I go I'm going to take a .44 pistol and a bucket of ammo and see if I can get one with that.  Range... from just over the hood of the truck (only did once, was just curious if we'd find any parts.... surprisingly, we did), so as far out as I could hit, less than 300 yards for sure, probably 250 at most.

Good luck, I'm sure if you get in contact with people in western and plains states you'll find plenty of 'dogs for shooting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts