Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from a new member in Colorado!
I just picked up a model 94 .30-.30 that is all chrome, even the buttplate! It's in about 90-95%, and I was told that sat in a cabinet after having a box of rounds put through it. I haven't been able to find anyone who knows anything about it, or has ever seen one. Here is what I do know about it -

- The serial number is 2022235, which tells me it's a 1954, and not a commemorative.
- The stock is a straight stock, no checkering.
- The chrome is nicely done, no light spots, none in the chamber or in the barrel, and all markings including proof marks are crisp.

My uncle (who knows a lot more about this than me!) told me that back then you could custom order any Winchester in chrome, and that they came with a certificate stating that was custom ordered. This rifle didn't have one with it when I got it. Most of the collectors that I have talked to couldn't say whether or not that was correct. I guess that it could have been chromed by someone later on, and if that is the case, I wouldn't think that all of the markings would be as clear and crisp as they are.

I guess that my questions are these: If it was custom ordered, would it reflect that in a factory letter from Cody? Where would I be able to find information on production numbers? And obviously, what kind of value would it have?

Thanks in advance for any advice that you can give on this.
- W.S.

·
Registered
281 Posts
W.S. i am definately not the final authority on win 94's but i have never heard of a chromed 94 from the factory. sounds like a rifle from a ******* drill team.

·
Banned
153 Posts
I have never heard of a factory pre 64 chrome model, but can't say if they were able to be ordered that way. Try contacting WACA membership and ask for help. The historian at Winchester arms, if that position is still there, would be another. In post 64s, i've seen both chrome and nickel plating produced by Winchester.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
W.S. i am definately not the final authority on win 94's but i have never heard of a chromed 94 from the factory. sounds like a rifle from a ******* drill team.
I agree with birdshot, It is highly unlikely that it is original. However, I learned long ago to never say never with Winchester. Even so, without written documentation it is just another after market chrome job. Enjoy it for what it is, not what you want it to be.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thank you for your suggestions. I'm not looking to sell this gun, or under the impression that I "won a lottery" or something, just hoping for info.
I am a collector and have many Winchesters including 92s, 93s, 95s, 97s, but this is my first non-commemorative 94 and the serial number isn't within the range to get a letter from Cody to help with the ID of it. I guess that I should stick with what I know (military, colt SAA, etc.) and not try to get info on things that don't exist.

B.T.W. - As for the "******* drill team", I didn't say that it had a Realtree camo stock to match their outfit and seat covers, but I don't know what they would actually use, since we don't seem to have a drill team here in Colorado!

·
Banned
153 Posts
I was going through my collection this weekend, and lo and behold, i found a nickel plated 94. The box states special order from Winchester. FWIW

·
Banned
75 Posts
I am the proud owner of a pre 64 Win 94 in .32 special with a nickel plated lever. I was wondering if that option would be available from Winchester on a factory rifle. Apparently the answer is yes. Thanks for the info.

·
Banned
75 Posts
Pulled my Nickel plated 94 in .32 special out of the safe and jotted down the serial number then looked up the year of mfg. Turns out mine was made in 1950. The lever, trigger and hammer are all Nickel. It's a neat little 94. When I bought it I figured the Nickel was probably an upgrade done by a gunsmith rather than original from the factory. Based on the info in this thread I now believe it's most likely my carbine was special ordered with Nickel from the factory. Special thanks to SOSARMS for digging around his collection and finding some Nickel carbines in boxes so labeled which proves they came that way from the factory! Great info to know in case I run across another one.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
The LA State Police used to have a large number of factory chromed or nickeled pre 64 94s that were issued to troopers back in the 70s. They did away with them when they went to the AR15 as standard rifle. The troopers who were issued the shiney 94s were allowed to buy them for $13.

·
Banned
358 Posts
You mean like this? It's electroless nickle...

And this is what it looked like when it was given to me!

It's not a pre-64 but it was free! The amazing thing is, it shoots such great groups its scary - maybe that nickle down the bore did something?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts