Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from a new member in Colorado!
I just picked up a model 94 .30-.30 that is all chrome, even the buttplate! It's in about 90-95%, and I was told that sat in a cabinet after having a box of rounds put through it. I haven't been able to find anyone who knows anything about it, or has ever seen one. Here is what I do know about it -

- The serial number is 2022235, which tells me it's a 1954, and not a commemorative.
- The stock is a straight stock, no checkering.
- The chrome is nicely done, no light spots, none in the chamber or in the barrel, and all markings including proof marks are crisp.

My uncle (who knows a lot more about this than me!) told me that back then you could custom order any Winchester in chrome, and that they came with a certificate stating that was custom ordered. This rifle didn't have one with it when I got it. Most of the collectors that I have talked to couldn't say whether or not that was correct. I guess that it could have been chromed by someone later on, and if that is the case, I wouldn't think that all of the markings would be as clear and crisp as they are.

I guess that my questions are these: If it was custom ordered, would it reflect that in a factory letter from Cody? Where would I be able to find information on production numbers? And obviously, what kind of value would it have?

Thanks in advance for any advice that you can give on this.
- W.S.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thank you for your suggestions. I'm not looking to sell this gun, or under the impression that I "won a lottery" or something, just hoping for info.
I am a collector and have many Winchesters including 92s, 93s, 95s, 97s, but this is my first non-commemorative 94 and the serial number isn't within the range to get a letter from Cody to help with the ID of it. I guess that I should stick with what I know (military, colt SAA, etc.) and not try to get info on things that don't exist.

B.T.W. - As for the "Fine Country Gentleman drill team", I didn't say that it had a Realtree camo stock to match their outfit and seat covers, but I don't know what they would actually use, since we don't seem to have a drill team here in Colorado!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.