Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marked PETERS, these were made after Remington bought Peters, probably in the 1920's.

·
Banned
442 Posts
Not from the 1920's as they used 2 piece boxes then. My memory is poor and my Peters book is a week away but if I remember correctly these are 1940's and 1950's. When I get home I can give the correct date.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Indeed, my mistake. Trying to use a somewhat damaged onboard data recovery system. Refering back to references, these boxes indeed were seen during the 1950s and early 60s, not prewar.

These are;

The 1st 2 on the left are made at Frankfort Arsenal in March of 1886 and have copper cases. These have the 500gr lead bullets and are intended for rifles, not carbines.
The next 2 are also made at Frankfort but in 1892 and 1896 respectfully. (Originally I called these Bloomfield guilding cases but in fact that is not correct. These are tinned brass which Frankfort began using in 1888.)
The last cartridge is a much later commercial offering, with a 405gr bullet, simply for comparison.

Though I am not a big fan of this caliber these are some of the first cartridges I ever bought simply as collectables, some 20yrs ago I guess.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
45/70 cartridges

Indeed, my mistake. Trying to use a somewhat damaged onboard data recovery system. Refering back to references, these boxes indeed were seen during the 1950s and early 60s, not prewar.

These are;

The 1st 2 on the left are made at Frankfort Arsenal in March of 1886 and have copper cases. These have the 500gr lead bullets and are intended for rifles, not carbines.
The next 2 are also made at Frankfort but in 1892 and 1896 respectfully. (Originally I called these Bloomfield guilding cases but in fact that is not correct. These are tinned brass which Frankfort began using in 1888.)
The last cartridge is a much later commercial offering, with a 405gr bullet, simply for comparison.

Though I am not a big fan of this caliber these are some of the first cartridges I ever bought simply as collectables, some 20yrs ago I guess.
OC
I just found this thread;it describes the cartridges on the other thread.
I am interested in the 1886 rifle and the 1892 carbine cartridges
Are you interested in any of the cartridges that I mentioned.I can get pictures
Frank

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm still thinking about your list Frank. Have you got any shotgun shells in boxes, like paper or really old plastic? I am hot on ACTIV boxes and shells right now too.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
boxes

OC
I have some shotshell box pictures in my computer.
I'll try to show them
The pics are too big to transfer.
I'll see what I can do
Frank

·
Beartooth Regular
649 Posts
o'connerson,
Nice box of PETERS .45-70's you have. Based on the box design / color it dates 1935-1950

Yes indeed, the .45-70 may just have more variations than any other cartridge. Some of my favorites are the "Short Range", "Armory Practice" and Shot variations.

A.) F.A. Round ball "Armory Practice"
B.) W.R.A. CO. "Short Range" 220 gr. bullet
C.) U.M.C. "Armory Practice" 250 gr. bullet
D.) U.M.C. Shot cartridge

If you would like to see some Shotshell boxes and what they recently sold for
https://www.wardscollectibles.com/viewcat.php?category=1
I did not see any ACTVI boxes though.

Another is
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Browse.aspx?Cat=1012
Select a catagory and put in a search term

Kragman71,
Nice boxes.....

John

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
John, I'm all to familiar with Wards and Gunbroker! I have to stay away from them both for awhile cause I'm going to SLICS next week. Need my change!

·
Beartooth Regular
649 Posts
O'connersun,
Yes, I need to stay away from them too...but it's difficult!
If only I would not bid........

John

·
Banned
442 Posts
John Kort nice old rounds you have there however the 45-70 has to take a backseat to the 30-06 for varity of rounds. It has been said that their is over 10,000 different loadings for the old 06.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts