Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am recently getting into Precision Rifle shooting and have some questions. I am looking to be shooting in the 1000 yard range. I currently have a Savage 10 fcp hs precision .308 and a Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-2C in MOA. I have not bought rings or bases yet and I was wondering what some of the more experienced guys are using. I am also wanting to get a bipod and a cheek riser with an ammo carrier but cant find many to choose from. Can I get some suggestions?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm thinking your first move should be to attend a LR Match and see what the competitors are using. Most would be happy to answer your questions and tell you why they use, what they use.
There are a variety of options available, for any named item you can come up w/, in the shooting game.
Be aware, once you see all the 'stuff' available, you may start drooling. Do not fear this is normal, and the symptoms will dissipate once you start buying what ever it is you are attracted to.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I bet 90% (or more!) of us in my precision rifle club use either Harris or Atlas type bipods. Who uses what is a matter of preference, and also what works for you. The two behave somewhat differently. Harris bipods jump more for some shooters than others. There are good, clear comparison vids all over YouTube.

I've tried various cheek risers. Those are a matter of what fits your face and stock shapes. I like the one from Voodoo Tactical I have. It's adjustable in various ways, and has Velcro down each side so you can attach an ammo carrier, mag pouch, or whatever you want.

Rings and bases I don't have a lot to say about, other than that I spend a LOT less than many who frequent tactical/precision rifle matches.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys. I like the Atlas bipods but $200+? Really? I have been looking at the VooDoo cheek rest but havent been able to find any reviews on it yet.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I've always used Harris bipods and am very happy with them. Not the swiveling or canting ones, though. As for rings, a custom rifle builder suggested TPS rings, and its what he installed in my custom BAT action 30 BR and I'm very happy with them also. I've bought another two sets for other rifles since. Not cheap, but definitely not outrageously expensive either. (+/- $75.00?). BAT picatinny rail on the BAT, but generic aluminum rails on the others. No problems with any. BTW, I Loctite those on. Yeah, with the tough Loctite (red?). Your mileage may vary. I have a couple of Cabelas leather cheek rest/risers. You can pad them underneath to make them higher, if required. On a 30-06, I removed the laces and actually glued/screwed the cheek rest on (synthetic stock). On the Marlin, it is still laced-on.

Good luck.

Luisyamaha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts