Shooters Forum banner

Do you intuitively trust (instead of knowing or believing) Quick Detach Mounts to Return to Zero?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Not Worried about it

• Don't care, I'd never touch them

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,862 Posts
Fifteen thou is pretty tight. What I'm talking about are the M98s with the clip guide ground off with a body grinder. Nothing fits it. If the front ring is pretty straight with the bore, fill the gap in the back with black epoxy. When it's set, the mount is straight and can be cinched down without bending.
Japs are low on the front ring if they've been ground. Reverse the index surface and do the same thing.

If you want a 15MOA one piece, shim the back and glass both ends. It makes a no bend mount with an angle to it. The green stuff would probably work well on those.

Green bluing is somehow contradictory, don't you think. :)
Why are black berries red when they're green?

·
Registered
111 Posts
So, I don't have any druthers on detachable mounts but have some experience with them. When I lived in Germany I bought a very nice Sauer 90 deluxe rifle in 30-06...It was my birthday, and I just got my pilot bonus, and it was on sale at the rod and gun club. How could I leave it there? So, I hunted a lot in the German system with foresters and gunsmiths and they encouraged me to get a Kahles scope for the rifle and the matching "Schwing montage" (swing mount) for the scope. At that time (about 1988) a lot of Germans used one scope on several different firearms since their glass is mighty spendy. So, to them it was a thing. So, "when in Rome" I bought the swing mounts and had a German friend gunsmith mount it for me. It was a slick rifle and I hunted with it in Germany for number of years. My son now hunts elk with it in Colorado, having convinced me to pass it down to him before I croaked:). At the gunsmith's suggestion I tested the repeatability of removing and replacing the scope from the QD mounts. I did it three times on different occasions and every time the scope returned to exactly the same POI it was before. I had no reason to choose it in the first place other than trying something new, but I would have had complete confidence in the system. Sooo...that's my anecdotal evidence. Unfortunately, one of the levers broke off the mount in 1995 and I could not find a replacement anywhere, so I converted to a conventional mounting system it still wears today.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts