Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making a trip up to the big city tomorrow, and I'm going to be purchasing some reloading components. This way, once my equipment gets here, I can get right to it when the days are cold!

Anyways, I know there are a ton of variable here and whatnot, but I'm just wondering what brands you folks prefer? I'll be reloading for the .223 and .270 WSM right now, and hoping to get geared up for them...not often I get to the city!

Appreciate your folks' input!

·
Banned
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also ask this question... I have a CZ 527 FS, with a 1:14" twist (my .223). It shoots about 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards with anything I put in it, but I know it can do much better. Any specific reccomendations as to bullet selection?

·
Banned
490 Posts
Your .223 will probably do best with bullets no heavier than 55 grains, since you have the slow 14" twist instead of the more or less 'standard" 12" twist for sporting rifles. You might want to stick with flat base 55 grain bullets or even try lighter bullets of 40 to 50 grains for best accuracy. My .223 A-Bolt loves the Hornady 40 grain V-Max bullet.

In your .270 WSM it would be hard to beat the 130 grain Nosler Partition bullet for hunting use.

No recommendation on primers...they have all worked well for me. As far as powders are concerned, I have no experience with the WSM but it should prefer a slow burning powder like one of the 4831's. The .223 will like medium burning powders such as 4895. AA2230, H335, W748, Varget or BL(C)2.

·
Super Moderator
13,430 Posts
Depends on your objectives? I've shot a lot of Sierra and Hornady bullets over the years getting excellent accuracy from both. Berger's are probably the best without going to a benchrest custom bullet maker, but they cost more. If you want Solids, Barnes is the main game in town.

For 35 to 55 grain bullets in .223, Reloader 10X is very good. IMR-4198 often gives me best accuracy with 50 grain bullets, specifically, though. For heavy bullets look at 748, IMR-3031, and IMR-4895. These work well with the 77 grain Sierra MatchKing, which is a boattail spire point made stubby so it still fits magazines. It is good enough on BC to buck wind reasonably and is short enough to stabilize in a 9" twist barrel. Slower twists won't cut it with this bullet, though.

I've used a lot of different primers over the years, but Federal 205M's are what I keep returning to in .223 and .222, both. They have never failed to work well for me with any stick powder load. I've also shot a lot of Winchester SRP's and have no complaints. The Remington 7 1/2 has some fans, and at 100 yards I see no disadvantage, but the ES I get with it is a little wide for my preference. With 748, in the AR platform, the CCI #41 is made for the purpose, if you can find any?

I don't own a .270 WSM, so I'll leave that to someone who does.

·
Super Moderator
13,430 Posts
Note: Was composing while the 14" twist info was posted. Defiinitely light bullet twist. Get the Sierra 53 grain flat base MatchKing and IMR-4198 powder and Federal 205M primers for that, unless you will shoot over 200 yards with it? In that case we need to dig you up a boattail, unless you have no wind.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The 223 is easy: Rem 7 1/2 primers, Hodgdon Benchmark powder, *OR* a little birdy told me IMR 8208XBR works wonders. Bullets: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=1165324457
Very solid combo for your particular rifle :)

The .270 WSM: Win LRM primers, Hodgdon H4831, or H1000 powder, Bullets: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=162016
A good friend of mine swears by his 270 WSM, and uses the H1000 with those bullets. The key here is upper end pressures, the good news it it goes compressed right at max book pressure so it is bomb proof. If for some reason your stick don't like H1000 the H4831 is dang fine as well. You can get by with non mag primers, but the Win LRM's really get the job done with nice Small ES / SD numbers.

Good shooting,
Gary

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
I got my first 223 back in 1971 loading with WW748 powder and any primer on hand. Since then I've used H335, H322, H414, VV130, VV133, BL-C(2), Benchmark, Reloader 10, AA1680, AA2230 and AA2520. Most of these were within the last six months with both an AR rifle and CZ 527 LUX. The CZ liked everything from 40 grainers to 60's with tightest groups being 50 and 55 grain VMax. Most consistant powder used was Hodgdons H335 giving groups in the sub MOA range. Found the AR preferred 55 grainers then 50's with poorest groups being 40 grainers.

Usually use CCI primers but Winchester, Remington and recently Federal's have been used. Over the years have also used Herters, Alcan, and a few other odd ball primers which have all worked. Only reloads I use CCI's military primers in is the M1 Garand. Haven't seen a need in either the 223, 7.62x39 or 7.62x54R.

·
Banned
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been shooting 55 and then 50 grainers in it, and the 50's bring the group down to about 1 1/4". I hate to go lighter, as I DO use it, often out to about 350 yards on coyotes. But, I'm thinking it would be nice to try something lighter, to see what happens accuracy-wise?

As for the .270 WSM, I'm hoping to get something in the 140's this time around. It should carry slightly more punch, and still flies faster and flatter than a 130 gr. out of a .270 Win. But, I'm not going to scrafice bullet construction just to get up to 140 gr.

Thanks Nick, for the primer and powder reccomendations. Of course, I've read up tons about powders for both calibers, but nobody ever seems concerned with primers (which is fine, I suppose...but as with everything else, there surely has to be a difference!).

·
Banned
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always kind of thought CCI was supposed to be the king of the priming industry...no idea why I thought that, but there you go!

·
Registered
79 Posts
CCI makes a fine primer. Remington, Winchester, and Federal also all make solid primers. For instance Win LR primers and Reloder 22 go together like vanilla ice cream and apple pie. The Remington 7 1/2 primers for 223, nice tough cups and pretty good ES / SD numbers with the right combinations. Like anything else, primers DO make a difference. Some days you just have to try out a few different combinations to find out what really works.

With the 223 it is the Tough Cups thats most important, the CCI 41 primers are a CCI Mag small rifle primer in mil spec form and they work good too IF you can find them.

Good shooting,
Gary

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
The 52 grain Speer HP [not the TNT] has ALWAYS shot well in any 22 centerfire gun I load it for. The 223 and 22-250 are .5" or better with that bullet and it really messes up woodchucks and crows.

I use 748 and CCI SRM primers for my 223 H&R.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I'd use some 40-45 grain bullets like the 45 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, you can buy them in a 250 round bulk pack that makes them pretty cheap. Ramshot Exterminator and any small rifle primer except the Rem 6 1/2 will work just fine.

I load the 55 grain NBT with Ramshot TAC and Rem 7 1/2 with mixed military brass. Lately I've been using R-P brass and its been good brass.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i've had great results with the 50gr v-max and the 55gr spire pt. bulk pack hornady bullet (with the canellure) and either Tac or 748 in mixed mil-surp brass. i've messed with RL10x recently and it works great too...

·
Banned
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, went up to the city today...lucky thing my main reason for going up was to get some windows. My trip to Wholesale Sports procured an RCBS flash hole uniformer and a universal loading tray.

They had brass (not that I needed any)...no powders, no primers, and a bag each of cast bullets for the 9mm and .457.

So, guess I'm stuck for components until some other time when I can get back up there.

Thanks for all the suggestions, by the way...wrote 'em all down!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Well, went up to the city today...lucky thing my main reason for going up was to get some windows. My trip to Wholesale Sports procured an RCBS flash hole uniformer and a universal loading tray.

They had brass (not that I needed any)...no powders, no primers, and a bag each of cast bullets for the 9mm and .457.

So, guess I'm stuck for components until some other time when I can get back up there.

Thanks for all the suggestions, by the way...wrote 'em all down!

While buying primers and powders can be expensive, mail order places like Grafs and Natchez usually have your cases and bullets available. You should check them out and stock up on bullets. If you can get a friend or two to split the HAZMAT charges, ordering powder and primers thru Grafs isn't so bad. They only charge $5 shipping on any other no matter how big.

·
Banned
107 Posts
Sorry you couldn't find any shooting supplies, what a bummer. I'll add some of my favorites here also. For the .223 I've had very good results using Varget powder, CCI primers and 55 V-Max bullets. If you are not shooting much further than 300 yards or so a boattail bullet really isn't necessary. I also shoot alot of the varmint Extreme bullets that MIDSouth shooters supply sells. They are not all that bad for the price. For the .270 WSM, H4831 or H4831SC is a good powder and very hard to beat the Nosler Accubonds for a biggame bullet. Good Luck picking up supplies on your next trip.:)

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Too bad you live in Canada and mail order is a big hassle.

·
Banned
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Too bad you live in Canada and mail order is a big hassle.
Haha...you seriously do not know the half of it. I put in an order to Cabela's one time, and I figured since I was getting some things already (gunsmithery-type supplies), I'd get them to throw in a few more targets for me as well.

Well, wouldn't you know it. A paper target with five orange X's on it is a restricted item.

What's the difference between this H4831 and H4831SC? I've seen alot of guys reccomend both of them?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,113 Posts
Not a whole lot of difference - the SC (short-cut) powder is the same as the non-sc, just measures through a meter better and you can get more of the kernals into the case. I personally like the stuff and use it in everything from 6.5mm to 30-06.

·
Super Moderator
13,430 Posts
Hatcher's Notebook includes a description of him loading both coarse and fine grain powders similar, he said, to IMR-4320, for national match ammo one year. His arsenal loading equipment threw a charge extreme spread of 0.6 grains for the fine stuff and a whopping 1.7 grains for the coarse stuff. Despite that charge variance the coarse powder load was consistently more accurate. Hatcher credited easier ignition of coarse grains.

Being a statistically insignificant sample of 1, it may or may not have been an unusual case? However, on the logical principle that even one exception disproves a rule, it means you can't automatically assume a less well metered coarse stick powder charge will be inferior to a better metered fine charge of the same or similar powders.

Currently, you can get short cut versions of H4831, IMR-4007, and IMR-7828, that I am aware of. Others may come out in time? If you have both the short and long cut versions of one of these and have the time to shoot a Newberry round robin to find the size of the charge insensitive range, I'm sure we'd all be interested to learn of your results?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts