Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am new to reloading AR's (223/5.56).....what is the preferred powder? Using 55 gr. fmj-bt bullets. Suggestions? Would like something fairly clean.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The number one powder for .223 especially in AR's with 55 FMJ bullets is Hodgdon H-335. Ramshot Tac is another very popular powder with 55 grain bullets. There's probably 20 powders suitable but H335 if you can find it is the most popular. I used Winchester 748 for a few years but switched to H335. I'd just check your manuals list of powders and "not" use the fastest 2 or 3 powders as they are a little fast for AR's.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have tried Vihtavouri N135, H 335 and Benchmark with 223/5.56 cases, if your going to use the fmj bullets for plinking I would use the H 335, if you want an accurate load for other than plinking go with the Benchmark, N 135 is very temperature sensitive and I don't recommend it. Benchmark is the most accurate powder that I have tried so far with any bullet. I shot a group that measured just over 1/4 inch using benchmark and the Sierra 52 gr Hollow point match king using LC 13 5.56 cases.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Accurate 2230 is/was my favorite; haven't seen any for a couple of years. As mentioned above, I've used H335. Currently using IMR3031. These days a guy can't be too particular.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,505 Posts
You have to watch H335 though. I had a "bad" experience with leaving loaded rounds in a hot barrel to "soak" then firing say ten minutes later. The round(s) wouldn't extract. I found out later that this had a good bit to do with the amount of powder. 26.5 grains is "HOT" load made hotter by soaking. The trouble that load was Jimmy John's (freaky) accurate. Rather than have two loads, I'd try the 4198 or Benchmark. I've never had any problems with either one of those.

RJ

·
Registered
407 Posts
That is what happened to me with N 135, I was chronographing some loads and the starting load was producing speeds faster than what their manual listed with a barrel that was 8 inches shorter. I double checked my chronograph and it was working fine, a tech at one of the bullet makers advised me about this, now I don't chamber a round until I am ready to chronograph it, however some powders are not effected by soaking them in the chamber.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Being a newby in the loading room, I`m a bit confused.

IMR 4198 & H-4198 are different and NOT interchangeable, are they not ??

Can`t seem to find IMR 4198............

·
Registered
362 Posts
AA2520... meters incredibly well, so even my plinking loads that are thrown with a powder throw are super consistent. Oh and it give top velocity and accuracy across a very wide range of bullet weights (like 50-75 grains). I've tried a few, and settled on this one. ymmv.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Arebt Alliant powders very poular?/

Im surprised that Reloder 10x was not mentioned. Does it have problems? My data books say it was developed for the 223/5.56.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have used H4895, IMR 4064, Viht Vouri N-130, and CFE 223. Of these, I liked the N-130 best for its performance, but not for its cost, nearly $10 more per pound. H4895 proved best for my needs, and price. CFE I didn't care for its performance, or its sooty residue. (though it did clean easily.

·
Registered
10 Posts
powder type

I use cfe223 or AR-comp, both work well for my semi autos of 223 and 308.... designed for the semi-autos from my understanding.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Have had good results with 55 gr bullets and lots of different powders. My favorite is Ramshot Tac, but have also been happy with Accurate 2015, 2200, 2230 and 2460, H-335, Varget, H-4895, CFE-223, Benchmark, IMR-4064, and 8208-XBR. About the only powder I tried and didn't care for was H-4198. Poor velocity and mediocre accuracy, in my experience. But others love it, YMMV.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I've used Win 748 for years. Lately I've been using Ramshot X-terminator. Meters very well, very fast, and accurate under 55gr bullets.

For heavier bullets, the velocities and accuracy seen with AA2230 has been great. Nearly 400fps faster under a 60-65gr bullet than win 748.

I also use SRMP, wolf or CCI.

·
Registered
22 Posts
...For heavier bullets, the velocities and accuracy seen with AA2230 has been great. Nearly 400fps faster under a 60-65gr bullet than win 748...
Really, 400 fps? That would be close to 3400 fps with the AA2230, smoking for a .223. According to the powder makers' load data charts, the difference is more like 130 fps.... :confused:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts