Shooters Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Since I too am considering reloading for my AR, I have a question: I've noticed that RCBS dies are sold for .223 or for 5.56mm. My AR is stamped for both, but what is the difference in those dies??

As for powder choice, like the old adage says: "Opinions are like %#$&@, everybody has one." I'm more confused than ever as to the preferred powder choice!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I will cast a vote for BL-C-2. Been using it for years and it always worked good. I have heard it to was developed for the 5.56/.223

·
Registered
105 Posts
Surprised not mentioned by another, but 53-55 grain bullets the best accuracy I've achieved (sub-MOA at 100 & 200 yds) has come from H-322 (which also meters wonderfully). Have found Varget better for heavier bullets (69 grains).

·
Registered
407 Posts
Since I too am considering reloading for my AR, I have a question: I've noticed that RCBS dies are sold for .223 or for 5.56mm. My AR is stamped for both, but what is the difference in those dies??

As for powder choice, like the old adage says: "Opinions are like %#$&@, everybody has one." I'm more confused than ever as to the preferred powder choice!!
If you want good accuracy Benchmark is the best powder, it has been the most accurate powder for me, I have tried H 335, H 4895, Benchmark, Vihtavouri N135, win 748 and Tac. Tac and H4895 have given me the highest velocity but Benchmark has been the most accurate with any bullet that I have tried.

·
Registered
362 Posts

Nothing, the dies are all the same (it's the same cartridge, with pressure defined a little differently and a slightly different freebore).

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
With the powder supply being what it is,I have been lucky enough to lay in a good supply of AA-2015BR.I have loaded over 2,000 rounds of 223 for many people here in my neck of the woods and have not had 1 compliant.All have reported excellent accuracy with the 55gr bullets that I have loaded,and no problems feeding or ejection.I have noticed that I can find this powder when nothing else is available.I just purchased another 8lb jug from Natchez shooting supply.Not cheap but it is available.Good luck in your loads research.

·
Banned
4,916 Posts
Being a newby in the loading room, I'm a bit confused.

IMR-4198 & H-4198 are different and NOT interchangeable, are they not??

Can't seem to find IMR-4198...
Yes. IMR-4198 and H4198 are two different powders, even though the Western Powders, Inc. burn-rate chart I have shows them on the same horizontal line. NEVER assume the other one will work if you don't have for what the reloading manual calls. This goes for all similarly-numbered powders. They may burn somewhat similarly, more or less, a bit here and a bit there. Substituting powders for what's specified in a load is for those with much more experience than either you or I have-- and I've been a reloader for thirty years. If the load calls for Powder X, I use it. I never substitute a powder I do have for one that I don't have. The ramifications can be disastrous. Reloading is all about safety. Your name may be John, now. We don't want you to have to get used to people calling you One-eyed John, or Seven-fingers John...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Accurate 2230 is/was my favorite; haven't seen any for a couple of years. As mentioned above, I've used H335. Currently using IMR3031. These days a guy can't be too particular.
I’ve had good results with the IMR 3031 for .223 loads as well.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,893 Posts
You dug up a 7 year old thread.

Reactions: Darkker and Vanilag

·
Registered
42 Posts
You dug up a 7 year old thread.
Yeah, but it was a good read,:cool:

I vote for H-335 and CFE.
Have used H-335 for many years with good results.

AZB
p.s. Love the Zombie threads, a look back into the past when components were cheap & available.

·
Registered
614 Posts
An older issue of Handloader had an article by Al Miller (magazine editor and highly experienced handloader) demonstrating that H335 caused damage to the buffer face that other powders did not. All about pressure timing at the gas port. I’ve used W748 for 40 years in my AR-15, it still functions like new. Newer powders may do as well or slightly better, but old skool works.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts