Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's time to pull down some of my Greek surplus 30-06; say a few hundred rounds of it. It's 50 years old, give or take, and for the last several years (most of a decade) there's been no way to keep it cool. So, I want to pull the powder down and replace and reload it.

My kinetic bullet puller 'hammer' (I use the term extremely loosely) doesn't seem to me to be the appropriate tool for the task, but I thought I'd ask. Would you use a plastic kinetic puller, or a collet-style press-mounted puller, or something else? Is there something else?

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,805 Posts
Yep, I drilled the appropriate sized hole in a piece of oak and bend the cartridge side to side enough to pull the bullet out. Bullets don't get damaged and all I do is neck size. Depending on how many, I may save the primers, but usually not.

RJ

Reactions: Darkker and MZ5

·
Registered
27 Posts
So it's time to pull down some of my Greek surplus 30-06; say a few hundred rounds of it. It's 50 years old, give or take, and for the last several years (most of a decade) there's been no way to keep it cool. So, I want to pull the powder down and replace and reload it.

My kinetic bullet puller 'hammer' (I use the term extremely loosely) doesn't seem to me to be the appropriate tool for the task, but I thought I'd ask. Would you use a plastic kinetic puller, or a collet-style press-mounted puller, or something else? Is there something else?
For that many I would use the collet puller of your choice and run them thru a seating pass to push them in just a little to help free things up and bob's yer uncle.
But, can you trust those old Greek primers?
However you choose to do it, it's still a labor of love and time is money. I am short on both it seems.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,987 Posts
Yup - run the cartridges thru a seating die to push the bullets into the case to break that 50 year seal, then either the "hammer" tool or a collet puller. I've got both and probably use the kinetic puller most. Less scarfing of the bullet compared to the collet.

·
Premium Member
14,659 Posts
Collet pullers do a great job and very fast. A quarter turn on the closer is all that's needed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used a hammer puller when I started reloading, before I learned to load small batches when trying a new load.
I now use an RCBS collet puller, bought it when I was given a large bunch of loads that I wanted to salvage the
bullets from. I also pulled some Wolf 7.62X39s so I could load them with .308 diameter Sierra PSPs to shoot in
my Encore barrel of the same diameter. I gave up on that, bought some PPU brass and never looked back.
Bill

·
The Shadow
7,573 Posts
An M1 would be my choice!
Sundays To-Do list:
1) Coffee
2) Break/bend OP-Rod on my 1954 IH Garand, with known bad ammo.
3) Mow the lawn

Yep, seems like a perfectly reasonable list for today...🤦‍♂️😉

Reactions: MZ5

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well now, the OP has me thinking about the cans I have stacked up that were recently sourced from the CMP south store. I really can't say that I've heard of problems with their offerings but that means nothing. Do you fellows have knowledge of poor performance with particular lots?
I (and others also I'm sure) may not have been paying the best attention so, what say the guys that have?

·
The Shadow
7,573 Posts
I really can't say that I've heard of problems with their offerings but that means nothing. Do you fellows have knowledge of poor performance with particular lots?
You gotta read what he wrote:

It's 50 years old, give or take, and for the last several years (most of a decade) there's been no way to keep it cool.
50 years being one thing, stored in the Arizona heat on top of that; means time to pull down.

Cheers

Reactions: MZ5

·
Registered
27 Posts
You gotta read what he wrote:

50 years being one thing, stored in the Arizona heat on top of that; means time to pull down.

Cheers
Agree that the OP's stuff is suspect, absolutely so. Just wondering out loud if there are any known issues with any particular lots. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don’t know of particular issues with specific Greek HXP lots. The CMP forums or milsurps forums would be the best sources of info on that. Thefiringline might have info, too. That’s where I’d look if you’re concerned, but again I’m not aware of trouble with specific lots.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Interesting throughs on this topic.

MZ5 - What are you going to shout this ammo through? What are you shooting it for?

My though is, if you are just plinking or donkeying around with a bolt action, I would probably not think twice about shooting it.

If you are shooting for money/fame and shooting it through Darkker's 1954 IH Garand, probably not.

Also, is anyone going to shoot an actual 1954 IH Garand? If so, they can probably afford to give the Greek ammo to a buddy and buy some new match grade stuff.

An to your original question. I use my press and a pair of vise grips. But I am not reusing the bullets when I do this. It is usually only for a few Ooops during reloading.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It is for an M1.

I haven’t made a final decision about whether to re-use the Greek FMJ bullets. I have some 175 SMKs and at least a few Lapua D46s laying around, and I have a ported gas plug for the rifle so there aren’t any worries about those bullets.

I haven’t shot the local High Power (C&R, actually) matches for a while, so I don’t know whether I’d call the ammo for plinking or target work. I’d load it with reasonable care such that I could shoot it at the matches if I chose to. For that matter, I’ve shot the Greek stuff at a match once, and another one or two of the guys here normally shoot the Greek stuff from CMP. It’s not bad ammo, but sitting in an AZ garage for several years isn’t the best thing for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts