Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I use 2.25 power reading glasses. When using plain safety glasses, I can see the target fine, but the open sights of my handguns are impossible. When I put on my reading glasses, the sights are fine but the target is a complete blur and double.

I went to a optomitrist at Kaiser and discussed the issue. It turns out he is a shooter and knew exactly what I needed.

He set me up with 1.25 correction in the right eye with the focal point at 32 inches instead of the usual 18 in. for reading glasses. I can see the sights fine and can still see the target clean enough for accurate shooting.

I ordered the full sized glasses in polycarbonate.

I am very happy.

Jeff

·
Registered
64 Posts
You are one exceedingly lucky person! Kaiser is so anti gun, for the most part, that your experience is almost legendary!!

Hope you are able to keep the same physician.:D

·
Banned
548 Posts
Another tip is to wear a strap to hold your glasses firmly in place while shooting. If they move around on your face, they can change the point of aim, even though your sight picture will be constant.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here's a similar thing I have discovered about prescription glasses and shooting.

When I shoot trap or hunt birds with prescription glasses, I don't do as well as when I wear contact lenses. In trap there is about a 1-1/2 bird difference per round.

I asked the eye doctor about this and she said that it was an alignment problem that occurs because of the slight refraction that occurs when wearing the glasses. This doesn't happen with contacts.

Food for thought,
Ka6otm

·
Registered
471 Posts
Polly Carbonate seems to be the favorable type material for shooters, almost indestructible, they won't shatter, like glass ect...I have found getting oversized lenses make shooting visibility much better, I like large aviators. I notice I look like poindexter but who cares when your shooting;) Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts