Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys….first time on the forum and needing help. I have a vintage Herters press with no visible markings to identify the model. I have to start my inquiry with “Herters” since that’s what I was told it was when I bought it online. Everything seems to be intact with the exception of a resizing stage/collet. Can any of you guys help me identify it? (if I can figure out how to post a pic) Fingers crossed…
Flooring Gas Composite material Wood Machine

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
That's a Mec 250 I think.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
First of all Welcome from Texas. What a cool find!! It does look like something MEC made?? Since Herter's didn't manufacture their own products, it could have been a proto-type of a MEC or maybe a Texan. I have never seen a loader that indexed from the top like that one. The old MEC 250 and 400 still required you to move the shell to each station.

eBay has tons of parts for different loaders and finding a sizing collet that could work shouldn't be too difficult. Even Lee made a collet that might do the job.

Again...great find and thanks for sharing.

Good luck and all the best.

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
Contact Mec and send a pic or two. Complete die sets for the 250 were $18.50 in 1962. Tell them you saw that in a Shooters Bible and wonder if its still true. It'll be good for a laugh and maybe a discount.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Contact Mec and send a pic or two. Complete die sets for the 250 were $18.50 in 1962. Tell them you saw that in a Shooters Bible and wonder if its still true. It'll be good for a laugh and maybe a discount.
LOL! Will do!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I don't believe it is a MEC, because of the side mounted handle and the linkage that raises the shell holder. All the MECs I can find have a center mounted handle and the die plate moves downward with a shell holder that is fixed at the bottom. I could be wrong! Also, it appears the charge bar does not move left/right, but rather the two 'tabs' marked 'S' and 'P' are what moves to dispense the shot and powder. I could not locate any similar looking presses with quite a few searches. Is there any markings anywhere on the press?
Yours looks more closely (not exact), in design and operation, like a Savage loader, see photo here:
Camera accessory Cameras & optics Font Drill presses Enlarger

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't believe it is a MEC, because of the side mounted handle and the linkage that raises the shell holder. All the MECs I can find have a center mounted handle and the die plate moves downward with a shell holder that is fixed at the bottom. I could be wrong! Also, it appears the charge bar does not move left/right, but rather the two 'tabs' marked 'S' and 'P' are what moves to dispense the shot and powder. I could not locate any similar looking presses with quite a few searches. Is there any markings anywhere on the press?
Yours looks more closely (not exact), in design and operation, like a Savage loader, see photo here:
View attachment 102461
Very similar, but the charging bar does, in fact, slide left and right. I am at a loss. Not a single makers mark anywhere. I appreciate the time you took to research. I think I’m going to refinish it and try to get any missing pieces machined. I’ll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I did read somewhere that Redding produced a Model 16 with a square charge bar, in a brown color. All the Reddings that I have found photos of (16's and 32's), have a round charge bar. I also heard that Redding made the Savage loaders (?). I could find nothing that confirms who made the loaders for Herter's. They did have different models made by different manufacturers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts