Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, it's been awhile since I have posted. I am restoring a Carcano 91/38 Cavalry Carbine for a friend. I took the metal to my local gunsmith for bluing. Upon the completion of his work, he advised me the metal is very soft, and he would recommend not shooting this rifle at all.
My question is: Could my friend reload with blackpowder and cast bullets, and stay within safe operating pressures?

Thanks, "Ridge"

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gunnut:

Thank you for responding. In answering your question; no, it is brass loaded ammo. The Italian cartridge is listed as a 6.5mm, however the true diameter is .268. I believe Hornaday sells loaded ammo for this particular rifle with a bullet that is around .267 diameter, carrying a weight of 160 grains.

I advised my friend to make a wallhanger out of it , as it means something to him as a family heirloom. Still, he wants to shoot it. In an effort to his wishes, I thought I might inquire as to the possibility of maintaining lower (read safe) pressures using the black combined with a cast bullet that could be formed to a true .268, which matches the bore diameter.

If we did go on to fire it, the initial few rounds would be done with the rifle strapped down to an old tire, etc, and a string to the trigger. (Much easier on the head neck and shoulders....lol) Anyway, if the black and cast combo proved to be safe, he could enjoy the rifle in the way he wants.

"Ridge"

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I will go ahead with the opinion of another smith. The smith I took it to had an obvious bias against the Carcano from the moment I walked thru the door with it. I realize they aren't much "to write home about", but this one means something to my best friend as his father brought it home from the European Theater of WWII.

Perhaps I could find a mild load in smokeless, and test it using the above described method. Any suggestions on available bullets? I am thinking that Hornaday makes larger diameter 6.5mm for this rifle, but it weighs in at around 160gr. Is this correct? Would a lighter bullet in 6.5mm @ .264 diameter help to abate pressures?

Thanks "Ridge":)

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
DMC:

Thanks for the data and mold number. I think I will fire 'er up with that load. BTW, don't feel too bad about "not hitting anything with it" ... I have several "tack drivers", and I can't hit anything with them either!! lol.

Gunnut: You bet! Always get top notch advice here.:cool

Thanks everyone, "Ridge"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.