Shooters Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Loader I believe we agree on this issue. There is something to different brands of brass showing flow (any distortion of case head) due to one brand being softer than the other before the even mild pressure of 52,000 psi. In this case I back off till it stops and call this max for the brass. Actually I now work up from below any time I change brass. Years ago I had some Federal brass that was far softer and 25 grains lighter than the Remington brass I worked the load up for show dramatic high spots where the ejector pin hole matched up. I am now a firm believer in working up any load where all components are not matched exactly. In my opinion the cartridge case is the single greatest factor in pressure deviation with the bullet being second.

· Banned
548 Posts
rickt300 -

Now I read you, and you are quite right about the variations in brass characteristics being critical. I have had the same problem with soft brass as well. When the brass flows, that's too much pressure for that brass, but not for the rifle/powder/bullet combination with good brass.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.