Shooters Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
If Don is referring to difference between Hornady's test rifle and ours, then yes, I agree as well. I just can't get my head around the velocities we are getting. In thirty five years of reloading I don't ever recall working a load down from minimum.
Just a though. When I started loading we didn't have chronographs. We figured posted velocities were about where we were and we worked up loads depending on pressure sign's we saw or felt in the bolt handle. We never had the problem, ?, your describing! Sometime's many people get in to deep with the science of the whole thing and chase it rather than dealing with what they have. Forget the chronograph and work up a good load that works in that rifle what ever it may be. Once your done chronograph the load and you know what you have! The only problem I see here is your overthinking the problem took's we have today tend to help over thinking along!

·
The Shadow
7,460 Posts
When I started loading we didn't have chronographs. We figured posted velocities were about where we were and we worked up loads depending on pressure sign's we saw or felt in the bolt handle...... Forget the chronograph and work up a good load that works in that rifle what ever it may be. Once your done chronograph the load and you know what you have! The only problem I see here is your overthinking the problem took's we have today tend to help over thinking along!
Many, if not all of us started that way. But as with all things we learn and find better ways around a problem. Pressure "signs" only speak to impending component failure, and speak only vaguely to actual pressures. Assuming no headspace issues, or brass shortcomings; pressure "signs" tend to appear(from my testing) once you are above 70,000 psi. It's one thing to understand this and purposely choose to run those loads, it's entirely different if you think you are running SAAMI pressures then have an issue and components fail. A false sense of security lends to "I did nothing wrong", "The gun just blew-up, you owe me a million dolalrs".:rolleyes:

Similarly, without being able to watch velocities and changes with charges; you can miss that you are on the wrong side of the burning curve, or the powder in a cranky position.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Got a Savage 12FV in 6.5CM last fall and been having a problem with it destroying cases as I work up loads. About the time I start getting near the middle of published data it starts stretching primer pockets. Today I was finally able to set up the crony as the snow drift is gone in front of my shooting bench and I found out I was pushing my bullet about 150+ fps faster then what it should be. What the heck is going on? Max load for 130gn ELD is 44.8 gns of Hybrid for around 2800 FPS and I'm getting 2850-2900 with 41 grns of powder and .020" off the lands.
sounds like federal brass.

I've seen the same thing numerous times with numerous guns when loading federal brass.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I suspect my rifle would eat federal brass brass for lunch. One and done.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Finally got to shoot another two FV12 rifles and a Beraga HMR with the same load Junior and I have been using. They shoot that load 2550-2600 fps which is where the load data suggest it should be. It is what it is I guess and I will have to run any and all new loads through the chrony to be sure I'm on the safe side.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts