Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some 280 gr. LFNGC on the way. After talking to a couple of powder mfgs about another problem, they told me that the load that I was planning to use of 54gr. of #7 was dangerous for my Outfitter. Does anyone know the psi of this load? What is the max psi for the Marlin 444P??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Go to Loadswap.com and look at Marshall's loads for
the 444. If I remember correctly, he stated that 54 grains might be too much for his Outfitter. I loaded some
280 grain Beartooth Bullets for my Outfitter with 52 grains of Reloader #7. I was getting around 2245 fps.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tony,
My favorite load in a Win. Timber Carbine is:  48gr. of Re7 behind a 330gr. Beartooth GC using Rem. cases and CCI LRP.  It clocks 2100fps out of my 171/2" bbl. @ 10' from muzzle (60 deg.)  Over at Marlin Talk, I mentioned this load and got a responce from Tim Sundles-owner of Buffalo Bore Ammo- stating that they had tested by Hornady quite a few 444 loads  using Re7 and that the pressures of my load was pushing 55,000psi.  As Tim mentioned, I am 'pushing the envelope' but I feel comfortable with this load because of two reasons:  1-  there were 'no' high press. signs (not saying there wasn't high press.-just no signs) cases slipped back into the chamber all way to rim, no hard extraction, flattened/cratered primers and case expansion was at the 'high side' of OK.  2-  most people are unaware of the 'safety margin' built into these rifles!  This doesn't mean 'anything goes' but with the continued monitoring of fired cases and not shooting a steady diet of these 'hunting loads', I feel for my circumstances, comfortable.  Best Wishes!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts