Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow shooters,
I normally stay in the lever action catagories,however I have a quick question. I realize regions and prices vary. I was looking at a bisley blackhawk in 45 colt. It is blued with white grips and barrel was cut to the ejector rod(nice job). Over condition is very good. The price is $330 it seemed high to me. Although I don't see to many bisley's with adj sights. I think that's what's tempting me. Any thoughts???

thanks norville

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,223 Posts
Well, as you note, it's not factory original. Either someone cut down a 7.5" Bisley, or put a Bisley gripgrame on a 4 5/8" Blackhawk.

The white grip panels aren't standard either.

It does sounds like a handy combination. What it's "worth", as a custom gun, is what you're willing to pay for, no more, no less.

Almost certainly whoever had it customized has more money in it than that.

I'd be somewhat tempted, myself, but might see if I could negotiate the price down a little. That's not due to any perceived value, but just because I think that would be a handy sized gun for hunting.

Good luck.

·
Registered
311 Posts
MikeG,
Is putting a Bisley grip on a Blackhawk a do-it yourself or a gunsmith job?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,223 Posts
It 'should' bolt right up, but might not fit the frame exactly. As I understand it the guns are polished at the factory after they are put together.

You will also need the Bisley hammer, trigger, and grip panels of course.

I haven't tried it but it is a simple enough job to take off a grip frame and put it back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for input MikeG,

I have a win 670 in 30-06 I think I'll see what I get on a trade. I looked into the bisley ad on route, but brownells has the kit for $150 + grips ($35-$50) + blue $75 + $20 for cut crown & tap sight. And now I'm looking at $300 plus the gun. I know this cause I found a SBH for $230 and considered the 44mag. Ideally if I found a virgin bilsey blackhawk and cut ,crowned, & tapped. On the plus side that piece has been there almost 10 months.

thanks again

norville

PS ya know anybody looking for a fine 30-06 in a win 670/w 3-9-40 tasco. $300 shipped. Great trigger!

·
Registered
311 Posts
norville,
Where did you find the information on the Brownell kit?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Assuming that the gunlooks good, runs good and functions good, I think it is a good deal. Any base gun in 45 Colt will be around $350 - $450. Then, the grips, barrel modification, etc. are extra.(or frame, cylinder, hammer and trigger) I payed $430 for my SS Bisley with a 5.5" barrell and adj. sights new. I think that was a fairly good price. 15ish years ago my Dad payed $199 for a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 10.5" barrel in 44 mag. If you want that style of gun, and it all checks out then I think it is a good to excellent deal. I would say it is a little overpriced, if your plan is to change the grips, barrel or do some extensive conversion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nathan, I'm partial to the bisley frame it's the first single action that actually fits my hand(wide). I agree unless I owned a BH for awhile and wanted a change or found one dirt cheap doing the conversion isn't an option for me. Granted this bisley looks shot but not shot out only sign of real wear is the cylinder ring. I want a shooter and I've got the itch.

thanks
norville

·
Registered
48 Posts
norville said:
Nathan, I'm partial to the bisley frame it's the first single action that actually fits my hand(wide).
thanks
norville
Me too. That is the best SA girp in my opinion. I can shoot 300gr/1300fps loads all day long! Ok, maybe not all day.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well folks, I'll let you know how the bisley shoots next week. I got $275 for my 670. Not bad for a rifle that I paid $150 with a 8x24x50 bushnell scope that's on my 22-250 now. We both knew that with hunting season approaching a win 30-06 wouldn't last long.
The barrel on the bisley is a hair over 4" not quite flush with the extractor It seems very solid. The only complaint so far is the 1/2 of the warning on the barrel. He had another with a 3" barrel/no extractor/45colt/bisley/blackhawk, but the balance wasn't there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts