Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to pick up a ruger no. 1 s in 45/70 for $400. Everything I have read tells me this is a no brainer deal.

Can anyone give me any comments on this riflle is this configuration (22" barrel, rifle sights)?

If nothing else it will stop me from asking all those .444 marlin questions :0)

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
If the rifle is in very good condition, yes that is a good deal. The S configuration is my favorite for the larger calibers, though I only have one in 338 now. The No.1 action is extremely strong, probably the strongest mass manufactured action on the market today. They can be a bit heavy in the larger calibers, I would expect the 45/70 to weigh in around 9 lbs or so, but they are something else. The No.1 is my favorite rifle made today, and if you like the 45/70, you can't go wrong. It's a class act, all the way.

The sights are as good or better than anything anyone else is putting out. The rear sight is the same that is being put on the M77 MkII's (or it used to be). It is on a quarter rib and is dovetailed. The sight is adjustable. The front sight is a banded (barrel band) without a hood. It's a little thick, but on a bruiser like the 45/70, it makes for quick acquistion. If you want to mount a scope, it really doesn't get any easier. The quarter rib has scope mounting dovetails cut into it that allows you to you use rings designed for the rugers. No bases are needed. If you opt for a peep sight, NECG makes a really nice one that clamps onto the dovetails in the quarter rib.

One word of caution, since the scope is mounted on the quarter rib, some folks have complained that they have to crawl the stock for proper eye relief using a scope. I've had a half dozen or more No.1's and have always used Leupold scopes on them and have never had that problem. Make sure whatever scope you mount, that it has generous eye relief.

The triggers on most are typical Ruger, kinda heavy and gritty. But the last one I bought, came out of the box near perfect. It's the only rifle that I haven't had to spend some time working on the trigger.

If it is new, or like new, it is a good deal.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Too good to be true, my seller backed out on me. He obviously got a better offer.

I'm not too sad though, I ended up stumbling accross a pre-crossbolt .375 bb for less than I had taken out for the ruger.

See you on the Leveraction thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts