Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Marlin 1894 357 in my hands yesterday, and I was sorely tempted. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since! It had a very short barrel on it, maybe less than 18"? It was in very good condition, about 95% I would say, with nice blonde wood, pretty straight grained. Blued steel.
Price was $499. What say ye? Yay or nay?
I've been looking for a mate for my Ruger GP100 357 for some time, and this is the first one I've seen on the used rack. Should I keep looking?

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,237 Posts
I just paid $515 for a 1894 in 357. Lovely little gun. Also a companion to my 357 Ruger BH. The price quoted you is not out of line. These little guns are hard to find.

·
Banned
13 Posts
I paid $530 last week at a gun show.

My version was made in 1982 and appears to be in very good to excellent condition.

Gun shows are not the most economical places to buy, but the gun was getting a lot of attention with an original price tag of $575.... and being able to share rounds with my S&W revolver was hard to resist.

oB

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
If it was a 1894P then it had a 16.5" bbl. The 1894C has a 18.5" I believe.

CD

·
Registered
706 Posts
I had a Marlin 1894 357 in my hands yesterday, and I was sorely tempted. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since! It had a very short barrel on it, maybe less than 18"? It was in very good condition, about 95% I would say, with nice blonde wood, pretty straight grained. Blued steel.
Price was $499. What say ye? Yay or nay?
I've been looking for a mate for my Ruger GP100 357 for some time, and this is the first one I've seen on the used rack. Should I keep looking?

I would like to have another .357 lever gun , but I do not plan to pay more than $ 400 , or I keep walking .

Your threshold of pain is up to you .

Best of luck .

God bless
Wyr

·
Banned
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up buying it at $499, but being Cabela's i had a coupon that saved me $50. That's what I like about them. Most of their prices are high, but if you are persistant they do have great deals. I talk to one of the guys at the local store a lot, and he tells me all the time about guns he bought and thought they were worth say $1000, but that's not his decision, so it gets tagged at $699 when the actual price should be like $850. That makes it well worth the time to check their inventory periodically. YMMV

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
I'm getting my first one, a .44 Magnum Carbine. Its $550, but comes with 4 boxes of ammo, 200 bullets, a bunch of 1x fired brass and 2 sets of dies, and a scope.

·
Banned
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm getting my first one, a .44 Magnum Carbine. Its $550, but comes with 4 boxes of ammo, 200 bullets, a bunch of 1x fired brass and 2 sets of dies, and a scope.
Wow! That's a great deal! I would buy another 1894 if I could find a reasonable one in 41 mag. Of course, then I would have to find a S&W to go with it. It never ends.:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my 44 '94p new in 2003 I think for about $400. That was as much as the 45-70s back then. Put different stock on it. It looks like it has a scope on it but it's just bad lighting. Trust me.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I do know the prices on those 1894s are sure climbing. I was lucky to find one a few years ago (1894C .357) used for a decent price. They are great little guns. I also (recently) got a Rossi 1892 in .357. The 357 makes a great levergun cartridge.

Andy

·
Registered
125 Posts
I see on Marlin's website that they now make a stainless steel version of the 1894C. I'd love to find one. Has anyone seen them? I suspect they'll be even harder to find than the blued versions for a while.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
You guys get them Marlins now if you can. Marlin is closing down the North Haven plant within the next 18 mos and moving out of state.

CD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.