Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Your Pride in Joy Rifle, Picture Thread!

I was thinking last night of the pride of my rifle collection. I know many of you have more than one, but which is you go to or favorite rifle that will never leave your cold dead hands! You will most likely get buried with this rifle! I figured if you have a picture, and what it is, and how it shoots it would be neat to see what your pride in joy is. Does not have to be custom, just your favorite.

Here's mine:

Just finished
-Mauser K-98 Military Action
-Adams & Bennett F-54 contour .220 swift Barrel
-Bold Trigger
-Custom tiger stripe maple stock (Maker Unknown)
-Fully Bedded action
-Floated Barrel
-Bolt face lapped
-Lugs trued
-Parkerized Receiver
-MidwayUSA Cera-Coat black paint on barrel
-Intensity Optics 4-12X44 Scope
-Leupold Bases/Rings

I have been building this rifle for myself the past 10 months and just finished building it from scratch. I built this as a "Rat Rifle" budget target/varmint rig. Took quite a bit of time, and a lot of parts from many different places. Spent about $650 total to put this together. Took it out yesterday to shoot it for the first time, and with my 6th-10th shots on the barrel I shot a 0.721" 5 shot group. I have to do some load development yet and finish breaking in the barrel, but it is looking promising.

Attachments

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Nice looking rifle that you can be proud of. Nothing like the satisfying feeling of shooting a rifle you built. What do you have planned next?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
My pride and joy is just an old model 7 in 260 Remington. It's nothing fancy, but it is the one gun I will NEVER give up and it has NEVER let me down. Every deer that has ever had the misfortune to be in the Model 7s x-hairs has died.

I have fancier guns and more accurate guns, but this gun points like my finger and kills everything it's pointed at. I have never missed a deer with this gun and only 1 required a 2nd shot. I've changed the scope since the picture was taken, but it keeps killing critters none the less.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice looking rifle that you can be proud of. Nothing like the satisfying feeling of shooting a rifle you built. What do you have planned next?
Thanks, it was gratifying shooting it for the first time. good posts so far, sometimes the best one you got is not a show piece, but never lets you down. I too have a few nicer rifles but this one by far is my favorite.

My next build which is getting a Hart barrel put on it now is a Custom 1917 Enfield in .308 Norma Mag.

Keep them coming guys.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
It's a toss up. My Mossberg 500 that I purchased 3 days after my 18th Birthday holds a special place in my heart, but I guess thats not a rifle. Probably going to say my Ruger M77 MkII All Weather in .338 WM.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Beautiful Rifle! Congrats and good job!

Nothing beats the satisfaction of shooting a rifle you built yourself.

Here's a muzzleloader I built in 1985. 50 Cal Sharon barrel, L & R lock, Siler Trigger, maple stock with hand-poured pewter nosecap.

This is probably the last deer I'll ever shoot with it, as my eyes have gotten bad enough that the iron sights just aren't up to snuff. It was a DRT shot of 80 yards using a patched .490 round ball and 95 gr loose 777 powder. Maybe some day I'll jsut have to take it to one of my bow spots and look for a 25 yard shot!

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
i've got a M96 swede that i built on an 1899 Oberndorf action, it has a #3 shilen barrel, bold trigger, a blk/grey laminated boyds "dakota will" stock that i fit and finished myself... norman johnson up in turtle lake did the 2 position shroud saftey conversion for it, and it has an older leupold M8 fixed 7.5x on it... oh yeah it also has a dakota bolt handle on it.
i chambered the 'ol girl to 6.5x55AI and love it!! most times it'll give 4 shots in one obround hole and the 5th one maybe 1/4" out. not bad for a cock on close action!! that rifle is like an old friend, easy to get along with and utterly reliable!! the only thing i'd change is that i'd like to lighten it up a bit. may have the local smith flute the bbl...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I guess if I have to pick one it is the 1948 Winchester Mod. 71 in .348 win.

She ain't the pudiest horse in the barn but she sure is sweet!

:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts