Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back from 6 months down South and getting ready to start reloading.....figured I'd better start looking for a source to replace the primers I'll use. Yeah, good luck. Did a dummy yesterday when I found magnum small pistol at Midway, but the $68 after add-ons changed my mind. Went back today to get them anyway and "no stock and no back order"! Nobody locally has any small or large pistol or large rifle either, so if anyone has a source, please let me know....appreciate it.

Dan

·
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wideners has CCI SMALL PISTOL MAG and CCI LARGE PISTOL MAG only. Order it quick. http://www.wideners.com/
Appreciate the help and have placed my order. They must be kinda busy as they have a note that haz-mat orders are running a day behind.

Again, appreciate the informtion. I'm have not been familiar with Wideners so had not checked there....will in the future.

Dan

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
We have plenty on the shelf here in Utah, both at gun shops and Sportsman's Warehouse. Shops have them at about $30/1000 and SW at $35. Many have a 1000/day limit.

·
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, heck! Apparently Iowa is bring up the rear again? While Cedar Rapids isn't a large city, it's the second largest in Iowa and all I've found is small rifle. Checked Scheels All Sport and Gander Mountain and Walmart. Our "Dicks" doesn't handle any handguns or components. And Wally World never has a whisper in CR, but I've always suspected that whenever anything comes in, calls are made and it's gone that day? But hey, if you can't trust WW, who can you trust....your banker?

Local purchase would save the $25 haz-mat charge and make the doubling in price more bearable

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
Small rifle may be the flush one? Midway had Wolf small rifle on clearance a week or two back.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was in Scheels in Coralville last weekend and they had a little bit of everything. Must have sold them all by now. Didn't buy any I should have enough for now, thought I would leave them for someone who needed them!

·
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was in Scheels in Coralville last weekend and they had a little bit of everything. Must have sold them all by now. Didn't buy any I should have enough for now, thought I would leave them for someone who needed them!
I hit Scheels (Coralville) yesterday and they had lots of small rifle and shotgun, but no small/large pistol or large rifle. I'd had pretty good luck on Thursdays in the past, but not this time. I live about 30 miles away (CR) so checking every day is not going to happen, but several times a week isn't too bad.....obvious problem being wife shopping during my time at Scheels :)

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,137 Posts
Our Sportsmans Warehouse had a fair stock of primers of all types the other day. At $35/1K felt I could do without them for a while.

·
Super Moderator
3,831 Posts
It depends

Most of the local gun shops have ample supplies of CCI and Winchester primers in all sizes. All the best...
Gil

·
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our Sportsmans Warehouse had a fair stock of primers of all types the other day. At $35/1K felt I could do without them for a while.
Certainly a price increase, but still better than the + $25 haz-mat I paid :( Sure hope a within 30 mile source appears. I was complaining to another shooter looking at the empty primer cabinet when he remarked he didn't really need any, just looking to add to his lifetime supply.....good thing I wasn't carrying :).....justifiable homicide!

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
I see them for near the same price north of you dok. Not going to pay that much yet!
Can't find 22 rimfire ammuntion at a price that I'm comfortabe with either?

I never was a "hoarder". Just like to maintain my supply. Good for awhile.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
52 Posts
I live about 100 miles south of Scheels, so I make it there about 6-7 times a year. And that is usually when I go to the gun shows in Cedar Rapids. There is a local place about 20 miles from me I buy most of my reloading supplies. Last time I bought primers there they were just over 27 a thousand, for winchester. When I go to Sheels i just look at the used guns mostly, there price for new guns is outrageous.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My local spot here in ME always has WLR in stock for 36 bucks a thousand:eek: but its still better than paying hazmat and having a month long wait for backorders. Theres no need for me to add fuel to the fire by buying hundreds of thousands at a time when there always in stock.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
My local spot here in ME always has WLR in stock for 36 bucks a thousand:eek: but its still better than paying hazmat and having a month long wait for backorders.
I'm finding CCI and Winchester primers here in NJ from Sportsman's Rondezvous in Flemington. Prices are $40/K for W209's and $35/K for rifle or pistol primers. Cheaper than paying the Hazmat fee, as I keep 3000 of each on hand as my baseline inventory.

I'm wondering how much prices will drop, now that the market has risen to the current prices, and demand is stable?

·
Registered
473 Posts
obvious problem being wife shopping during my time at Scheels :)
It might be cheaper for you to just go ahead order online/mail order and buy a years worth even with a HazMat fee, rather then make a dozen or more trips looking for a nice low price.

$1,040.00 Per year - Several trips a week (2) $10.00 per trip Gas.
$5,200.00 Per year - Wife spending $50.00 average per trip.
$6,240.00 TOTAL :eek:

Of course the above prices and number of trips are just guesses/estimates.
;)

This is meant to be more of joke then anything, but does have some basis in fact.

·
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
understand the math, but what makes you think I have a choice :)

Dan

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
The Scheels store in Rapid City has been keeping some of everything on hand at $33.99 per 1000 for standard primers. They have a 1000 limit per customer/day.

Things are looking up here since I just recieved a call from a wholesaler. The 5000 small rifle primers I had on backorder for over a year arrived.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I buy 5000 primers at a time (mix and match) for 30/k and pay only one Has-Mat charge of 25. Ends up being 35/k sure beats the 50/k Gander Mt. (my only local shop) is asking. Looks like everyone else is paying about the same at local shops so the Has-Mat charge is no big deal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts