Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have always been under the impression that CCI made Winchester primers. Does anyone KNOW(not what a girlfriends, brothers, neighbor told you) if this is the case or not?
IF so: does anyone know if they use a different mix than standard CCI specs??

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just recently started using WSR primers because they were what was available instead of the CCI that I normally use. Can't say I've noticed a difference from this standpoint but I'm not sure who is doing the manufacture.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Eyeballing them together I'd say NO, there is a minor discrepancy in the anvil, an other than the fact that CCI's (large pistol) are silver and the WLP's are gold the compound is a different color too, the Federals look more like the CCI's than the Winchesters?, the only visual discrepancy is the compound color.

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
No, they don't even fit into primer pockets with the same ease. ATK owns Speer, Federal, Weaver, Alliant, and RCBS among others, but not CCI or Winchester. AFAIK, Winchester primers are still made by Olin, CCI is still owned by Omark who is owned by Blount and still rolls its own primers. So does Remington. Wolf are made by KVM, in Russia. PMC in Korea. RWS in Europe, and S&B are still in the Czech Republic. ATK, Olin, Blount, and Remington all own themselves and are the top tiers of their companies, AFAIK?

This experiment shows they don't have the same strength, either: http://www.castingstuff.com/primer_testing_reference.htm

Anyone should feel free to add to the list. Rocky may know more, as he was at the SHOT show?

·
Registered
93 Posts
At one time both CCI and WW were nickel plated, but now WW is plain brass so there is this difference. If they were made together, likely they'd use the same cups.

The brass cup material in WW is softer than CCI and seats more easily in some cases, another difference.

Tests done by Handloader magazine show that WW burn hotter than CCI, so there must be a difference in the priming compound itself.

·
Registered
174 Posts
CCI and Speer are both part of the ATK conglomerate. Omark and Blount were former owners of these companies. Both are located on Snake River Ave. in Lewiston, Idaho. ATK owns many other companies (as noted by unclenick) as well. Federal, RCBS, and Outers to name a few. CCI has never made or contracted to make Winchester primers as far as I know and I've lived in the area for many years. Speer has on occasion made jacketed bullets for Winchester. CCI has manufactured rimfire ammo for several different companies. At one time all the 17 HMR rimfire ammo was produced at the Lewiston CCI plant. ATK information is readily available via the various internet search engines. Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
As far as I know Winchester still makes their own primers as of 1997 when I was at the plant in Ill.They were not copper plating their shotgun primers then because of the hazmat costs of disposing of the solution that they plated in.That's what they told me. Maybe that's why LR primers aren't plated now? I don't know.Maybe a penny here,a penny there adds up when you're making billions of primers of all types. They got rid of a lot of employees in 1996. I was told that anyone that worked in a chair was gone. They threw away dumpsters full of chairs. They also quit their 100% visual inspection of shotshell ammo. I guess a $10.00 coupon when you get a bad shell to turn in is better.AND, they started selling King Buck dog food. Named after? I forget, a big man in the Winchester family or his dog? I dunno.Someone knows.
Federal had a bad batch of their 209 shotgun primer in the early 80's. The story goes that they contracted out that priming mix and it was bad. Then they started making their own again and it was different. Thus the 209A was born.The bad mix drove some of my buddies nuts trying to figure out what was causing their bloopers. We just couldn't believe it was the Federal primers. They were too good! I got some and I just had some light recoiling shells ,some had fizzers and some actually had wads stuck in their barrels. I swtiched to Winchesters and never looked back. I use CCI BR2's, 300's, 500's,Winchester 8 1/2-120's,Winchester lp's and Remington 9 1/2m's for other than shotshells.Nothing against Federals though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts