Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually use CCI primers but since primers are hard to come by I am thinking about looking at other brands that seem to be more readily available. Does anyone here know anything about the quality and reliability of Wolf or the PMC primers?:confused:

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
what about the rumor that primers or at least some ofem have a short use ful lifetime,[a few yrs]..one fella i know swears its true ..slim

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
No, there are no "expiring" primers. That is a rumor that has been around the internet about 20 times, but it has never been true.
I sure hope so.

I use the mil surplus ammo cans for 5.56 to store primers, and throw in a couple silica packs to minimize any moisture accumulation. On the occassions that I have used older primers, some quite old, I have never seen any indication of loss of spark.

·
Banned
502 Posts
If you keep your primers in a cool, dry place, they will last many decades. Load ammo put in some thing like a G.I. ammo can, will lasy forever.

Jerry

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I like CCI too but, due to their unavailability, I've been trying Fed210, WLR, and Wolf. When using them in previously proven loads, there are some changes to bullet grouping, but in some or maybe most cases, the differences are negligible. I like the Wolfs pretty good. In fact, any of them are fine, Ive found, if I build the load from the start using a particular brand of primer.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have used the CCI primers for most all reloading. After the shortage I came across some Winchester primers in stock and priced good so I bought them. Can't tell any difference to tell you the truth, but I haven't ran anything over the chrono to verify any changed numbers. Groups still look good. I doubt production hunting rifles will notice much difference in primers IMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts