Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some cartridge manufacturers put some sort of sealer around the installed primer.  That seems like a good idea to make hunting cartridges all-weather.  If this is a good thing to do, what is the best substance for sealing the primer joint?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
Dave, back when I was in college I accidentally ran 5 .30-06 rounds through the washing machine.  Fortunately I caught them before going into the dryer.

These were handloads in new brass, R-P brass and WW large rifle primers.

Much to my surprise, all 5 rounds fired!

I'd suggest that the hunting conditions would have to be pretty extreme to beat what happens inside the washing machine.  Can't see any harm in sealing them but don't see much need either, after that episode.

Shotshells for waterfowl hunting are probably an entirely different story, I would be afraid of using steel shot if the crimp wasn't sealed.  Sure wouldn't want to shoot a bunch of steel that had all rusted together.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There are some commercial sealants on the market but I can't think of the name right now.
For hunting loads I use acrylic laquer. I put some on a small sponge and rub the loaded rounds across it. You dont need much around the primer.  You could also paint the inside of the primer pocket be for seating the primer but that is really slow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts