Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding primers “stuck/welded” into cases as a result of being wet.

A friend of mine gave me two large pails of .38 brass. Nice brass, other than the cases had been wet and as you all likely know (I didn’t know this until I started reading up on it) when cases get wet for a prolonged period of time there is a chemical reaction of some kind with the primer residue and they will literally “weld” themselves into the primer pockets. It’s almost like you used locktite on them.

Does anybody know if there is a way to get around this? I’d rather not toss the brass. There’s a lot of it and it’s nice brass, but most of these primers will not punch out.

Is there anything they can be soaked in that will fix this? I seem to recall reading somewhere once that if you soaked them in something (can’t recall what) for a while they would loosen up.

Anybody got any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
13,431 Posts
There is a good chance the corrosion from the galvanic reaction will have eaten into the sides of the primer pockets. This makes them prone to leaking gas which will pit your gun around the firing pin tunnel over time. However, you'll probably want to try it and see? Soak a couple of cases a few days in penetrating oil and see if they decap? PB Blaster does well on corrosion. You could get a spray can and spray them once a day for three days to let it penetrate. It will eat some paint, though, so you want all excess off before putting it in your press.

You could also take the brass to a scrap yard, then put the money toward buying some new Starline brass that you know is top quality and in good shape?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nick. There is very little point in asking for advice if you are not prepared to really listen and pay heed. Enough said. The brass is history. It's not worth risking damage to my press or firearms. Better to get new brass.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
I’m with unclenick on scraping the brass for cash if its that bad.

If your going to try, I offer this. Try the hydraulic method. A good soak in penetrate will help.

Partial fill the case with liquid.

Place primer pock over a hole in something that supports the rest of the case head.

Insert a close fitting dowel (or similar) in the case mouth.

Whack with hammer (circus mallet should be about right).

SPLAT!!! Primer comes out or it doesn’t.

Is messy and labor intensive. Less likely to just punch a hole through the primer though.

Cheezywan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts